Everyone: Highschool

Depuis le début

He walked by, looking lazily in each class. He saw Tsireya in maths, where he should be, writing in her book. She was surrounded by her friends, who pointed at him and began whispering to her when they saw him. She quickly looked up at shyly waved at him, giggling and hiding her smile behind her hand when he waved back. Lo'ak heard her and her friends get told off for talking and they resumed writing in their notebooks, stifling their laughs. He smiled, a soft one, and looked to the floor. He kept walking to his locker, thinking about Tsireya.

...

"Sorry I'm late, Sir." Neteyam apologised when he entered his english classroom. The teacher nodded and gestured for Neteyam to sit down. 

He dumped his stuff beside Ao'nung and sighed as he sat down.

"Lo'ak?" Ao'nung whispered. Neteyam nodded, rushing to lay his books on his desk. Ao'nung shook his head, finding any reason to be annoyed with Lo'ak.

"What's his problem?" Ao'nung grumbled.

"He doesn't have a problem, 'Nung." Neteyam smiled, placing his hand on Ao'nung's shoulder. Ao'nung's expression immediately softened and he felt his skin tingle and become a little cold when Neteyam removed his hand. One of his friends laughed at Ao'nung, but stopped when they were glared at.

They sat through the tedious lesson together, drawing on each other's pages when bored out of their minds. They drew penises, faces, clowns, and any other shape they could think of. They played noughts and crosses and hangman, bursting with laughter at the words they came up with and being told off by their teacher, stifling their chuckles afterwards.

"Ao'nung!" Neteyam wheezed. They were drawing on Ao'nung's book, taking turns to add something. Each time, Ao'nung somehow managed to make it inappropriate despite Neteyam's efforts. Giving in, Neteyam added another line. Neteyam writhed violently in his seat, gripped Ao'nung's shoulder tightly and his face contorted with barely contained amusement, and Ao'nung's head flew back and he slammed his hand on the table with silent laughter.

 They leant towards each other as they laughed.

"Boys!" Their teacher yelled. "Do I have to separate you?!" 

The whole class was staring at them.

"No, sir," Neteyam eventually responded, voice cracking and eyes shining with tears. Ao'nung coughed to hide his laughter.

"No, sir," Ao'nung said. "Neteyam helps me understand!"

"Yeah, yeah!" Neteyam added. "I'm helping him! I swear!"

The teacher rolled his eyes and went back to writing on the board.

Neteyam and Ao'nung turned to smile at each other. Neteyam's face went pink, and Ao'nung cleared his throat. They kept staring at each other, faces softening as they examined the other's face. Neteyam stared at Ao'nung's lips, before his eyes widened like waking up from a dream. Ao'nung noticed, face heating.

They both went back to their work.

...

Kiri smiled as she entered her favourite class: Religion. Something about learning everything to do with modern and ancient languages called to her, captured her interest like no subject had. She smiled sheepishly at her favourite teacher as she walked in.

"I'm so sorry, miss, I-"

"I know, Kiri." She smiled. "I've taught Lo'ak before, I know exactly why you're late. Don't worry!"

Kiri placed her books on the table next to the window, where if she could open it she could reach out and touch the leaves of the old oak tree, her favourite thing in the whole school. She sat beside no one, a relief to her as it meant she could concentrate on her studies without having to accommodate for someone else's stupidity.