💙Happy Family💙

Holy shit, 11k reads!! Thank you! A short, cuter one for y'all :)

Future au, Sal and Travis are in their 30s in this. Lydia is a kid they adopted when she was young, she's ab 6 in this.

Love the comments y'all post sm, they're my favorite things to read lmao <3 if there's any mistakes pls ignore them, it is very late as I am posting this.

-3rd pov-

Rain pattered on the roof of the household, the flickering of the ignored movie played in the silence. Blankets strew across the two bodies in a deep sleep and tangled in their legs.

Sal's arm rested on Travis's chest as he softly snored. Travis's fingers tangled in the other's blue hair.

In the other room, a young girl who should be asleep cried and begged for silence, hands pressing over her ears in stress after waking from a nightmare.

Her cries pierced through the silence, tears falling and wetting the blanket hugging her knees. Images of the dream repeated in her mind, her cries becoming more drawn out. The little voice in her head told her to be quieter but as much as she tried she couldn't stop the tears. She needed someone, she needed to stop crying.

Slowly she crept across her room to the hallway to her dads' room, wiping her eyes and slowly opening the door. As her eyes adjusted she saw her parents sleeping together on the tall bed. Taking a deep breath she quietly sat on the floor next to the bed, listening to their breathing and snoring. The white noise comforted her a little bit.

She hugged her knees and let herself cry, but being only a child it was louder than she was aware of.

Travis began to wake and groaned at the noise, still figuring out his surroundings. He noticed Sal beside him and stroked his hair in habit, taking in the warmth. He then noticed his daughter's crying and immediately leaned over his husband to her side.

"Hey, what's wrong? Did something happen?" He stroked her back, attempting to comfort her. Lydia attempted to reply, only crying more as she remembered the dream.

Travis was familiar with this as it happened more and more often. He rubbed his eyes and sighed. "Hey, hey it's alright. You're okay..."

Travis climbed over Sal and slipped on some sweatpants, leaving his shirt off as he figured he was probably going to go back to sleep soon. He picked up the young girl, rubbing her back and hugging her, walking to their kitchen.

"Want to talk about it, hun?" She shook her head and held on tighter. "How about this, If you don't tell your father you can have some soda and we can watch tv, hm? It'll be our secret," he offered with a smile. He knew Sal wouldn't really care either way.

She laughed and nodded, feeling special with this light secret. She wiped her tears with her hands and arms after Travis put her down. Lydia ran to the living room and sat on the couch, bouncing her legs and made some small verbal noises to her liking to comfort herself.

-Travis pov-

I poured a small cup of sprite to calm her down, then took a drink of it for myself which woke me up. I glanced at the clock on the microwave. 4:37 AM. Too early, I rubbed my burning eyes and grabbed myself some water.

I heard rustling from our room. We must have woken him up.

I walked into the living room, stopping to glance at my wedding photos and various other pictures of Sal and I. Finally happy. I guess life turned out alright.

I turned on a lamp and grabbed the remote. I handed her the small cup then sat down with a sigh.

I clicked through random channels, deciding on Blues Clues. Simple enough, Lydia bounced her legs in excitement in response to the show as she took a sip. The bouncing of the couch next to me didn't bother me much, I could hear Sal getting dressed.

I leaned on my hand and started to doze off, drifting in and out of consciousness.

"Hey hun, what are you doing up?" I heard Sal whisper.

"I had a nightmare. Shh! Dad's sleeping" I let out a small grin, not completely asleep yet.  The empty seat next to me fell a little as he sat down, putting an arm over my shoulder and softly kissing my head.

"Hey bug, quiet down a bit, please. Your dad's still trying to sleep." He whispered to her. I heard her hum an 'okay', then continued talking to the show, quieter this time.

"You can go back to bed, I have her handled," he chuckled.

I shook my head in defiance, "too far. Cold," I mumbled in response. Sal rubbed my arm in a comforting manner, the talk of the cartoon becoming incomprehensible.

Lydia started rocking back and forth by Sal, but it didn't bother me much. I've become used to it, as Sal and I have also done it since we were kids.

I heard Sal whisper something to Lydia, but I didn't catch it. Soon, I felt a blanket on us, making Sal shift a bit to cover us- which bothered me.

"Go back to sleep, Trav." I barely nodded, happily giving him the responsibility of parenting for now.

I leaned my head on his shoulder, accepting his warmth and comfort. I smiled at the thought of how much I enjoyed these moments, quiet times with the two I love most. Soon I fell asleep, the last thing I remember was being kissed by my husband paired with an affectionate whisper.

(922 words)