▸ chapter 3.

Chapter 3

Ji-hyun's side of their dorm is literally covered with posters of shirtless men. There isn't an inch of wall space that isn't taken up by overdeveloped pecs, washboard abs, and bulging Calvin Kleins, and Chaeyoung knows her roommate only did it to needle her.

From the instant they met, she knew Ji-hyun would be the bane of her existence. Chaeyoung had lugged her belongings into her newly assigned room in YG Hall only to be confronted with the sight of a brunette aggressively making out with a douchey guy with lank hair, clearly ten years her senior. The pair hadn't even stopped to acknowledge Chaeyoung's arrival or her swift about-turn a minute later. She'd marched straight to the student housing office to demand alternative accommodation, made all sorts of threats about her father and his sizeable contribution to the alumni association, all to no avail. When Chaeyoung arrived back, deflated, Ji-hyun had smirked at her over the screen of her laptop and Chaeyoung knew, unequivocally, that she'd found her nemesis.

Most of the time they successfully avoid each other. When they do have the misfortune to be in the same space together, Chaeyoung barely manages to tolerate the girl. It's not that Chaeyoung hasn't tried to get along, it's just Ji-hyun has many annoying qualities. Not least her propensity for leaving her underwear lying around and that inhuman slurping noise she makes when she eats ramen. There's also the boyfriend, Dong-seok. And, honestly, she's a kind of a royal bitch.

(As a general rule, Chaeyoung hates using gendered slurs but, for Ji-hyun, she's willing to make an exception.)

At least her roommate's out tonight with her equally obnoxious friends, which means Chaeyoung's been able to complete her assignments for the week and catch up on her Netflix queue in peace. But now she's got nothing to do and boredom leads to questionable choices.

Like taking a photo of her hand and sending it to Jennie.

9:52 pm

Chaeyoung

My middle finger is 3.75 inches long from the tip to the base. FYI.

The response is almost immediate.

9:53 pm

Jennie

asdfghjkl.

Chaeyoung smirks to herself, watching the three oscillating little dots that mean Jennie's typing another message.

9:54 pm

Jennie

this is going in my spank bank. fyi.

Chaeyoung

You're welcome.

When no other texts are forthcoming Chaeyoung powers on her laptop to check her email. There's a curt reminder from Hwang about an upcoming class test, which gives Chaeyoung a little flutter of anxiety even though she's completed all the necessary reading; a VIP 30% off promo code from Yankee Candle (starred for later); and a clickbait Buzzfeed listicle forwarded by Dad—subject line: 31 Cats You Won't Believe Actually Exist. She's about to open the latter when her phone vibrates with another text notification.

10:03 pm

Jennie

ok, how am I supposed to go about my life now?