school || Jentzen

Flashback:

"Jentzen!" My mom calls, and I put my phone down and run down the stairs to meet her at the kitchen, where she was smiling widely.

"I have some amazing news!" 

"What?" I ask. My moms "amazing" news' usually involve finding Walmart coupons or dimes on the floor. Ever since my dad lost his job, we had to move house, and me and my sister had to stop attending the private school we attended before. I'm in 8th grade and my sister is in 10th, and I've missed a month of school, as we can't seem to find a school which is affordable and will take in a guy just about to graduate middle school.

"We found you a school! It's only about a 30 minute walk, and they have a high school that your sister can join too. Isn't it wonderful?"

"Mom, that great, but..."

"But what baby?" She ruffles my hair, having to go on her tiptoes to reach my short black waves.

"I'm probably going to feel out of place there. There's only 3 weeks left, surely I can just chill at home using all the workbooks you gave me and start high school next year?"

She hugged me, and I hugged her back. I always try to show my appreciation for my family, especially my mom; she's always there for me and I feel I can tell her anything.

"Jentzen, there are these exams you need to pass to move on. If you don't take them, you'll just get held back, and you're really smart, so you shouldn't be."

She grabbed my left arm. "I understand this will be hard. But it's necessary." 

End of flashback

That was last night. Now I'm walking to my new school, on a warm summer morning. I grab my phone and look at all of the friends I left behind - all of their posts that I should be in, all of their calls I should've joined, all of the fun they're having without me.

My sister, Leia (a/n I know this isn't Jentzen's sisters name but I wanted to make it different to Elliana's nickname), walks behind me, already finding someone from her grade to talk too. She was really popular in our old school, and so was I, everyone said we had the best genes, we were smart, good looking and talented. I don't know what my status will be in this new school.

I walk into my new schools reception, taking a moment to stare at the large lettering on the roof: SUNKISS MIDDLE SCHOOL. The name was corny, but hopefully the people and the teachers were something different. 

"Hi, my name is Jentzen Ramirez, I just transferred here." I say to the receptionist, who looked like she'd just gotten out of bed, with smudged makeup, messy hair and dead-looking skin.

"What grade," she said in a hoarse voice.

"8th."

"The end of the year is hard," she muttered, before handing me a map and timetable. "Figure it out, you look smart enough. I'm too lazy."

Appalled at her behaviour, I make my way through the corridors, trying to find my first lesson: Math. There are loads of screams and punches in these halls, contrary to the sensible walking I was used too, the chaos only breaking out outside.

"Hey, do you know where M25 is, I'm new here," I say to two girls, one was tall with golden blonde hair and one had straight brown hair. 

"Why'd you interrupt our Tik-," the blonde one said to me, before stopping. She turned to her friend.

"What are you doing? Go put him in his place Em!"

"He's too cute. His muscles, he could destroy me, and anyways he could become our friend. Maybe even join the squad!"