2.10

The Gryffindors were sitting in the Great Hall for breakfast, the days of stunted conversation continuing as Violet had yet to awake. 

Marlene was slumped over, one elbow pressed into the placemat and the other lazily stirring a spoon through a half-eaten bowl of cereal.

The quiet over the table was broken by the blonde when the trio of Slytherins entered the hall, marching to their usual seats. The grip she held on the spoon tightened and her face morphed from a bored expression to a powerful sneer, "I don't get it" she spoke, tracking the group with her gaze, "Why can't we hex him or something?"

"Because," Remus huffed, stirring some milk into his cup of tea, "he technically didn't do anything."

Marlene turned to the scarred boy, her glare forcing its way to him, "What do you mean?" she seethed, "Violet is unconscious in the hospital-"

"I know" Remus closed his eyes, in this moment the teenager seemed to age several decades, looking more of a tired middle-aged man than his actual age, "I know Marlene, but it was her potion and the boys were only acting in self-defense." he sighed, looking down into his cup and muttering under his breath, "I already talked to Dumbledore about it."

Marlene was stunned, she was about to question what Minnie could've said when something from earlier in the sentence caught her attention, "Wait," her eyebrows furrowed and head tilted slightly in confusion, "what do you mean her potion?"

"Violet created the potion." Lily began to explain, looking up from her notebook of possible antidotes for the first time during the meal, "It was a potion of her own design that put her in the comatose state, that is why we can't wake her up." the redhead spoke somberly, "We do not know what she used, so we do not know how to reverse it."

Marlene looked to her friends stunned, completely at a loss for words.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Because!" the blonde ranted throwing her arms around as she spoke, "You didn't tell me that!"

"I'm sure we did," Lily looked over to Remus, "at some point..."

"No!" the girl whined, throwing her head back in frustration, "Why don't you tell me anything?" She groaned, talking to herself under her breath, "And to think I thought Rosier was smart enough to do this on his own" She shook her head, blonde waves bouncing as she did so, "I was in potions with him last year, should've known better."

Before anyone could respond to her, she slapped her palms onto the table and pushed herself up off the bench. The blonde dramatically fluffed her hair and brushed the imaginary dirt from her uniform before turning to leave the hall.

"Marls?" Lily raised an eyebrow at the retreating blonde, "Marls where are you going?"

The girl huffed, barely sparing the group a glance over her shoulder, "To fix this whole mess."

———

While the group of six went on to their classes, Marlene made her way up to the girl's dorm room.

"Yeah, why would they tell me," the blonde muttered, climbing up the stairs, "I'm only her best friend" She rolled her eyes, turning the door knob to the room, "It's not like I know all of her secrets or anything."

She stomped across the room to where Violet's bed lay and quickly opened the drawer on the small bedside table. 

Inside all she found was a book, the conclusive works of Jane Austen. The girl's eyes crinkled in amusement and a smirk drew across her lips, "Yeah, ok" she muttered, "Maybe for Lily, but for Violet? No."