Chapter 14: Year's End

Cyrene woke up excited the next day. It is the end of the school year, and thanks to the one hundred House Points given by Dumbledore, Hufflepuff won the House Cup. Jane was overjoyed at the news.

As she entered the Great Hall with her friends, she stared up at the yellow and black Hufflepuff hangings with badgers on them. Dumbledore stood up from his seat and gave his year-end speech.

'Another year at Hogwarts has come to an end!' he announced. 'I hope you all have learned much this year because I certainly feel like I have learned from you. But enough of my blathering. There is a feast to enjoy, and a House Cup to award...'

'In fourth place, Gryffindor, with 356 points...'

'In third, Slytherin, with 364...'

'In second, Ravenclaw has 368...'

'And with 372 points, Hufflepuff!'

Cyrene and all the other Hufflepuffs cheered loudly. She caught a glimpse of Merula rolling her eyes at the Slytherin table. Her House was very close to winning the House Cup.

'Congratulations, Hufflepuff! This year's winners of the House Cup! Now, please enjoy your feast, and enjoy your summer holidays!'

Just like the beginning of the year, the empty plates and goblets on the table piled with food.

*

Cyrene and Rowan said their last goodbyes at platform nine-and-three-quarters after getting off the scarlet Hogwarts Express. It was a shame that Cyrene could not to send owls during the summer holidays. Her family did not own any owls to send mail with.

Thinking about what Dumbledore told her at the Courtyard, Cyrene thought about the adventures and mysteries she would face next year. She smiled to herself, knowing that she would be prepared for what's to come during her second year.