Chapter One: Fish Decline

Some might say that mysteries are meant to be solved. But what if you were a mystery yourself? Attinsbureau, that's where I live. It is a state in the country Malota. A lush place with a population of 4016, a lot of forests, two large lakes, a beach, and simple homes but some with two-story houses. Attinsbureau is known for its forests. I am just only one of Attinsbureau's citizens.

I've been suspicious of myself. I don't eat, can't touch water, never know what happens if I get hurt, and a cat takes care of me. I live in a small brown house with a kitchen, a living room, a bedroom, and a front porch. I am Aden Laproda, a twelve year old girl in Grade Six, whose height is 5'1, my hair is color black, my eyes are color black, and my skin color is light brown. Some people say I'm pretty, and others say I look normal. I read newspapers, play video games, talk with my cat, and play board games with other people.

Today's another day, I guess. It was 6:00 a.m. when I woke up. I had my shirt and pajamas on. I checked the date. It was October 25, 2012, a Tuesday. I picked up the newspaper on the front porch. I read the headlines which say, "FISH DECLINE IN LAKE ATTINS, LOCALS STILL BAFFLED." I looked at the next headline and was shocked. The headline was, "ATTINSBUREAUAN CITES HE SAW A MERMAID BY LAKE ATTINS." I read the second story. I don't believe that merfolk exists. There is no proof and it's probably staged. My cat, Bali, came to me, bunting my leg. I picked him up and petted him. I got ready to school since it was a Tuesday, and it was already seven-thirty. My classes started at eight, so I said goodbye to Bali and got outside. I knew that Bali could take care of himself.

I started walking toward my school when I heard someone singing. I ignored it since I only have two minutes left before I get late for school. Since my school was near Lake Attins, I would investigate whoever was singing because it was unusual for me.

When I entered school, my friend Ann was there waiting for me. Ann Pertiez is also twelve, 5'0 (shorter than me), has brown hair, and brown eyes. A lot of boys have a crush on Ann. I don't mind if someone has a crush on me. We chatted and this is how the conversation went. Ann talked first.

"So, have you read the newspaper?"
"Of course. But nobody reads the newspaper nowadays. The news can be seen on cell phones..."
"Anyway, do you believe the news? It is a mermaid sighting though."
"No evidence or proof. Sounds like it's made up. Also, I heard someone singing near Lake Attins. I need to investigate that."
"Heh, let me know if you found anything."
"Ok Ann."

The bell rang and we walked to our classroom. It was now 8:00 a.m. We had Math, which was my favorite subject. Sir Palos was teaching Math. He is 6'0, 27, has red colored hair, a grumpy face, bright black eyes, and he was never fit for teaching because of his short fuse. Sir Palos was always looking at his favorite students which were Lliyah, Amika, Alisa, Sera, and Hannah. Ann and I called them the "Favorite Ugliness Squad" or FUS for short. It makes me angry because my favorite subject is ruined because of these five girls. Something told me to calm down because I was very excited to discover what was hiding in Lake Attins. I looked at Ann. Ann was my seatmate. We both knew that those four girls sometimes can answer Sir Palos's questions. When they can't answer, they say, "I am sorry sir, I do not know the answer." Sera was sort of a gloomy type of girl. I kind of think she should not be part of the FUS. It sucks when I raised my hand. Sir Palos asked us a question and I raised my hand. He called me of course then I stood up. This is how it went though.

"Who here reads the newspaper?"
Although Sir Palos called me, I felt like he wanted to embarrass me.
"Please stand up Aden."
"But I am already standing up."
He ignored what I said, and I was very annoyed. The FUS were laughing silently, I looked at them angrily and that made them stop laughing. I was thinking about Lake Attins though.
"So, you read the newspaper? It makes me think that you don't have a cellphone."
"Sir, I do have a cellphone but sometimes the news I see on my phone is fake."
"Well, you still read from a newspaper, tell me, what news is there?"
"Fish decline in Lake Attins and a mermaid sighting also in Lake Attins."
"So, Aden, tell me. Do you believe in fantasies?"