And my parents were still in the Noble Realm. Empress Arabella wouldn't allow her husband to harm them, but with the emperor out of the picture, they were in danger... Suddenly, the room seemed devoid of all oxygen molecules.

Unlike the rest of the royal family, the prinarch knew my secret, and after what had happened at the Origen Association, he now had a better idea of my father's identity.

My mind considered that he would attempt to probe my adoptive parents for information about Luca. Of course, they knew nothing about him, but after the prinarch realized that, then he'd have no more use for them. And he discarded anything and anyone who wasn't useful to him.

Ashton sprang to his feet less than a second after I jumped to mine. I didn't know what to do, but I did know that I couldn't stay here and leave them in the clutches of his grandfather!

"I need to get my parents out of Crysauralia immediately," I explained as my feet frantically paced back and forth along an invisible line on the ground.

"Don't worry, your parents are safe." Kristof hurried to reassure me. "Beau is doing everything he can to get them out of the Noble Realm. He has a house in a nearby country that they can use. They'll be off the prinarch's radar, for now at least. The prinarch wanted to use them as bargaining chips to get you back, but Beau acted quickly. He'll meet up with us here after he moves his family and your parents to safety."

"Kris is right," Jun murmured. "The prinarch's priority is to get you back. After he finds out that Ashton left the kingdom, he might retaliate against the Spade Kingdom. We need to come up with a plan."

I nodded, feeling immensely grateful for Beau's quick thinking. However, my relief was short-lived, and as soon as I'd sat down, I sprang up again. "What about-?"

"Micah and Esmeralda are safe, too." Jun answered the question I didn't get to finish asking. He offered me an assuaging look. "I made sure of it."

"Of course, Jun wouldn't forget to take care of his boyfriend," Raúl piped up from his spot beside Kristof.

"How many times do I have to tell you that we're just friends?" Jun frowned at the carpet. "At least... I think we are. I'm still working on that."

I bit back a smile at Jun's unnecessary uncertainty. Of course, Micah wanted that, too. It had taken him a few years, but I was glad that he'd matured enough that he was willing to risk so much for an Omega's safety.

Raúl and Jun tossed a few words back and forth, and a pang of guilt hit me as I only just noticed the pain in Raúl's eyes that lingered behind his banter and teasing. Harlow was missing. Was she on another mission?

Where was his soulmate?

I didn't realize I'd asked that out loud until everyone turned to me. Kristof awkwardly cleared his throat and Raúl ran a hand through his hair before meeting my eyes.

Oh no.

All the playfulness drained from Raúl as he sighed. "She refused to come with us." His voice was tinged with pain and hurt.

They were newly mated, and the separation because of her missions had been hard enough as it was. What would become of their relationship now?

"She swore allegiance to the king's organization, and she's a squad leader," Raúl mumbled.

"But you're soulmates..."

"She made her choice." His gaze drifted to the ground and his breath was splintered.

Kristof placed a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder and my gaze drifted to Jun. He was also a squad leader...

"I deserted the organization," he explained with an air of casualness, as if he was discussing the weather. "I won't serve under the prinarch."