𝟓 ✫ 𝐚 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐝𝐨𝐦

Start from the beginning

    "So don't show off your special skills and form alliances, sounds simple enough," Chance says with a shrug.

    "You are not the one I'm worried about." Walker told the brunette male, the two turning towards Sage who was already shaking her head.

    "My people skills tend to lead towards non-existence."

    "Well, that's easily fixable. Learn to smile, maybe you'll manage to be more approachable."

    Sage rolled her eyes. "I'm being serious. I don't work well with others." 

    Walker scoffed. "Really? And here I am thinking you're just a pocketful of sunshine." All he got in response was the middle finger from the teenage girl, earning a chuckle from Chance who tried to cover it up with his mouth. Walker gives them both an unimpressed look. "I'm serious too, Sage. You need to start taking things seriously. Your best chance at survival is not going at this alone. Whether you like it or not, you need allies."

    "Remind me again, how did you survive your games?" Sage bit back, causing the table to go silent. Walker just looked frustrated with him and stared down at the table. Satisfied, Sage turned away, mumbling as she went. "Yeah, that's what I thought."

><><><

    "𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐊𝐒, 𝟐𝟑 of you will be dead." A tall, lanky woman by the name of Beatrice explained, all 24 tributes gathered in the training room in their training clothes, listening carefully to the rules and instructions one of the Capitol's administrators were giving. "One of you will be alive. Who that is depends on how well you pay attention over the next four days, particularly to what I'm about to say."

    The two tributes from District 9 stood to the side of the instructor, behind the tributes from 3 and 7. Sage shifted her weight from one foot to another, arms crossed over her chest as she stood tall and expressionless, as the woman continued. "First, no fighting with the other tributes, you'll have plenty of time for that in the arena."

    The other tributes looked almost as uncomfortable as the rest of them. Sage was trying her best not to even look at the twelve year old from 6, Bobbi. She seemed to be glued to her District partner, Turner, who gave her reassuring glances every once in a while.

    "There are four compulsory exercises, the rest will be individual training. My advice is don't ignore the survival skills, everyone wants to grab a sword but most of you will die from natural causes."

    If anything, Sage hopes she is taken out quickly. By a sword, an arrow. Anything that is fast and simple. Because slowly dying from thirst or whatever environment the gamemakers have created for this year's arena is not going to be a pleasant way to go. After Beatrice explained more about the final assessment, everyone was free to start their training and go to separate stations. Chance shared a look with his District partner, for which she shrugged before walking off, leaving the male by himself. At first, Sage went to observe the different stations, how they looked and worked. She also took note of the other tributes and how some aimed for certain stations first.

    Like the careers from 1 and 2. The two males immediately became an easy partnership, heading towards the weight lifting portion while their female partners headed towards the archery and knife throwing. Many were at the sword fighting section, only a few were at the survival sections. Sage figured it would be best to start with stuff she wasn't familiar with.

    Hammock-making. It wasn't hard at all to learn. Sage discovered she is actually very skilled at this after reading over the instructions once. It required a lot of knot-tying, which she knew pretty much every knot there is. She had read it from a book she obtained from her short time in school. She mostly took it to help her with her snarls and traps for hunting.