𝟓 ✫ 𝐚 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐝𝐨𝐦

Mulai dari awal

    "But I'm told those are my special qualities," Sage replied sarcastically, earning a snicker from Chance. It was at this moment Sage realized Bird was nowhere to be found. That might be why this morning has been a bit peaceful. However, knowing this was serious, the redhead just shrugged her petite shoulder, staring down at her lap. "I don't really have any skills that will be useful in the games."

    "What about hunting? You are really good at that, right?" Chance randomly speaks up, causing the female tribute to turn a sharp eye on her District partner.

    "And how exactly do you know this?"

    Chance met her gaze. "I just... I remember when you got flogged two years ago. It was for hunting outside District 9's borders, wasn't it?"

    Sage could feel the phantom sting of the whip against her back at that moment, the burning of each lash was implanted in her memory, just like everything else. Ten lashes. It wasn't the minimum, they were warnings seeing as it was her first offense. Meaning, she had been very sloppy and just wanted to go back to the Dread after hours of not catching anything. She didn't see the Peacekeeper truck patrolling when she was caught sneaking in through the wired fence. A public flogging wasn't unusual, but it was definitely humiliating.

    Sage gritted her teeth together, the memory fresh on her brain as the table suddenly became quiet. Chance cleared his throat, putting down the fork. "I-I'm sorry, Sage. I shouldn't have brought it up."

    The redhead didn't respond, just played with the sausage on her plate, trying to get the memory of everyone watching as the 'bitch got what she deserved'. At least that's what she had overheard someone say when she was being tied to the post.

    Walker was eyeing the girl sympathetically, knowing far well that Peacekeepers do not hold back when it comes to floggings. The scars it must have left on her back are undeniably still there and it made him hate himself for not knowing about it. He remembers the day the girl standing before him was kicked out of Victor's Village. He remembers the threat of the letter he received from one of the higher ups that he was not to help the girl in any way. He still hates himself for abandoning her, for not fighting for her. Who knows what she has had to endure.

    After a moment, Sage could barely stand the awkward silence, so instead she lifted her head up and looked directly at their mentor. "I'm good with traps, especially makeshift ones. I also am stronger than I look and I'm very good at finding people's tells. Quirks and weaknesses you can say."

    Understanding her need to change the sore subject, Walker nods his head in understanding. "Good. Good. How are you with weapons? Swords? Knives?"

    "Well, I know which end to stab them with, if that's what you mean." Sage bluntly stated. An irritated expression took over her mentor's usually soft expression, causing the redhead to roll her eyes. "I'm pretty good with knives and a staff, but I'm a quick learner so I'm sure I can figure out swords and other shit they will have just fine. I'm very good at hand to hand combat. I guess you can say that is my special skill."

    Walker raised his brows curiously. "And how does a fifteen year old harvester girl learn hand to hand combat?"

    Sage cocked her brows in the arm, a knowing smirk forming on her lips. "You can learn anything with the proper motivation."

    Walker couldn't help but nod his head, impressed. Meanwhile, Sage glanced over to see Chance was staring down at the table, his expression anything but solemn. More annoyed if anything. Sage ignored his strange behavior change and got up from the table.

    "Hang on, Sage." Walker held up a hand to stop the redhead from going anywhere. "I want you both to try to at least talk to some of the other tributes. Mingle, try to form some alliances so you have someone to back you up in the games. Trust me, it'll make getting out of the bloodbath a lot easier if you're not working alone."