𝟑 ✫ 𝟐𝟓𝟎 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐩𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐫

Start from the beginning

"I'm talking now," Sage replied bluntly, which resulted in an eye roll from the much larger tribute. Sage found it hard to believe he was under eighteen.

"You've said four words. Doesn't exactly qualify as talking."

Sage just gave him a blank stare, shrugging her shoulders. "I don't have anything to say."

"Alright then..." Chance muttered awkwardly, leaning back into his seat. Sage turned to look back out the window, hoping Hyacinth was getting settled with the Pine's as we speak. At least her volunteering had some good outcomes. After a couple minutes of silence, Chance didn't seem to like it and turned back to the redhead. "Can I ask you a question?"

Sage gritted her teeth together to keep her rising temper in check, never once looking away from the window as she spoke. "You can."

"Why did you volunteer for Adrian Pine?"

Sage kept her mouth shut as she stared out the window. She could feel Chance's eyes staring at the side of her head, clearly waiting for her answer. However, Sage remained silent, shoulders straight and one hand twirling the end of her braid with anxious fingers.

When it was clear she wasn't going to respond, Chance tapped the girl's shoulder. Sage snapped her head to him, brows raised questionably. The former stared at her, puzzled. "Uh, did you hear me?"

"Of course I did. I'm not deaf."

Chance pursed his lips. "Uh... well, are you going to answer my question?"

"No."

"But you just said I could ask you a question."

"Yes, I said you can ask me a question." Sage confirms, the corner of her lip curling into a knowing smirk. "But I never said I'd answer it."

Chance was left speechless just as Bird returned, Walker right behind her, breaking the obvious tension between the two tributes. "Looky who I found!" Bird sings as she practically drags the older man and sets him in the chair a bit roughly across from the two tributes. "Tributes, meet your mentor, Walker Carmine."

Chance straightened up and shook his hand when Walker offered it. "Nice to meet you, kid. Wish it was under better circumstances."

"You and I both." Chance awkwardly chuckles.

Walker then looks over at the young redhead, his eyes softening when their eyes locked. That look was all she needed to understand that he does in fact remember her. Sage eyed him wearily, taking in his appearance. He definitely grew up. He won his games when he was eighteen, so that would mean he is thirty-three years old. His reddish-blonde hair was a lot shorter than she remembered. It used to be so long and curly it would cover his light blue eyes. Now, it was cut short and slicked back with a comb. He was rocking a subtle beard, but it was all over his expression how exhausted he was, definitely suffering from lack of sleep, most likely due to the upcoming games.

His whole attire was everything you'd expect a rich victor to wear. He wore a solid black wool blazer over a black turn-down collar buttoned shirt. He matched them with slim-fit trousers and a leather belt. He was a very attractive man, Sage will admit that. It might be why Bird was eagerly clinging to his side, admiring him with adoration. But his attention was clearly on the redhead who was staring up at him with so much intensity.

"Sage," he said in a solemn tone. "You look just like your mother. The resemblance is uncanny."

Although Sage predicted this, she still can't help but cringe at his words, her nose and brows scrunching in distaste. "Yes, it is an unfortunate curse I live with every day."