"Don't lie to me, I know you too well and can recognise when something is bothering you," replied Regulus, in a saccharine tone.

"And what would bother me, shall I know?"

"Your O.W.Ls, that's obvious. All you did was stare out the window earlier at lunch. Besides, you've been dancing for half an hour. You always do when you're agitated. I swear, I'm getting seasick watching you sway here and there around the room."

"I tell you I'm not worried about it," Alya repeated, in a sustained voice. "I dance because I'm bored, that's all," she added haughtily.

"Sure, right," retorted Regulus, not at all convinced. Then, the boy suddenly fell silent, looking at one of the windows, over his sister's shoulder. He pointed his finger, his eyes wide with surprise.

"There, an owl is coming!" he announced seriously.

Alya winced. She turned so fast that she almost tripped over her own feet. But when she peered anxiously at the horizon stretching beyond the window pane, she saw nothing but the empty blue expanse of the clear sky. Not even the shadow of a gnat was flying. Alya snorted in anger.

"Reg, you're an idiot!" she railed indignantly.

Regulus burst out laughing, holding his belly with one hand.

"You should have seen your face, Alya!" sobbed Regulus in laughter.

"Stop it!"

"If it's any consolation I think Sirius is anxious too. He has done nothing but peer out the window while eating, like you. Sometimes, you two are very much alike!" laughed Regulus again, but with a sudden shadow veiling his gaze.

"Sirius and I don't look anything alike!" scoffed Alya, frowning at him. She always got annoyed when they pointed out any resemblance to her twin brother.

"By the way. What's he up to?" asked Regulus, feigning indifference.

"He'll be hiding in his room devising some new strategy with which to disgrace our family, along with that fool Potter," replied Alya simply.

"James Potter - I just can't stand him!" hissed Regulus, now completely serious. He clenched his fists with a grim expression on his face.

"Your attempts to knock him off his broom during one of your games have not yet met with success?" Alya taunted him amused. However, she didn't rage any further. After all, she well understood how Regulus felt. She also resented the friendship between Sirius and James Potter. As the years went by, the two of them seemed to grow closer and closer and, at the same time, Sirius became more and more estranged from his real family. There was a danger that his brother would pass the point of no return. The bond with that arrogant Potter was leading Sirius to places Alya feared she couldn't reach.

Alya looked at Regulus and saw how his grey eyes, as sparkling as her own, now darted with anger and frustration.

"Forget that pompous Potter, Reg. You'll only ruin your digestion!" sighed Alya. She abandoned her dance for a moment, to go and tap her brother's shoulder with an understanding pat.

"You're right, that idiot isn't worth a second of my thoughts," Regulus murmured, more to himself than to Alya.

Suddenly, Kreacher burst into the hall.

"Mistress sends Kreacher for you. She is expected downstairs," he announced in his croaky little voice.

Alya whitened.

'Uh oh. The O.W.Ls results are in for real." commented Regulus, returning his sister with an affectionate pat, trying to give her courage. Brother and sister left the room, obediently following the old house elf downstairs where Orion and Walburga were waiting for them.