Chapter twelve Kelsey

It was time to leave Cape Cod to go back home and get ready for school to start again. I am going into grade ten. We are all packed into the car for the journey back home. The sooner we are home the quicker I will be with Joe and I can forget about whatever happened at the Cod. I will never have to see that boy again. I am glad he goes to a different school. I couldn't face him again.

Terri my sister still hasn't forgiven me for Jordan walking me home after the fireworks. She doesn't know about the kiss though. She would run to tell Joe and tell him before I did. I know she would just to get back at me. I am the baby in the family. I shouldn't have boys after me according to my older siblings. I got nothing new all hand me downs. My siblings wouldn't allow me to date boys. Joe was alright cos he was in my grade and my age. I watched The Cod disappear as we made our journey back home to Boston. Trying to remember the good times at The Cod and not the kiss from a certain boy who I will never have to see again. So glad he goes to another school. But he said he was leaving Boston. That is even better if he isn't even in the same state let alone the same city. I will never see him again and I won't have to tell Joe anything. But my dreams have always got a brown-eyed and brown-haired boy in them recently. It's not fair as I want to forget it ever happened. But it's like my brain won't allow me to. I am a goner if my heart starts to feel the same way. Soon I will be in the same city as my BOYFRIEND Joe. Joe Joe Joe, I tell my brain. But again it translates into Jordan Jordan Jordan. What is happening? Maybe I will feel better once I see Joe in front of me again. It's been a strange summer without him.

"Hey Kelsey, wake up we are stopping for lunch".

"Oh" as I awake from my daydream. "But aren't we close to Boston".

"Yeah but this will be the last family outing of the summer before you all do your own thing and only come back for dinner which sometimes isn't at the same time".

"Sorry for my life to be in the way," remarks Terri.

"It's called being a teenager".

"Yeah yeah".

We walked into the diner as a normal family. It had the same setup as Clare's did in the Cod. Even though Terri was moaning about having to be here and not back in Boston to meet up with her besties. We had a great time one last holiday meal as a family. I had visions of my beach friends coming in and sitting at a table nearby including a certain Jordan.

"Are you alright there, Kelsey?" asked mom.

"Yeah" as I shake my head to get rid of that thought.

"She wants to be home with Joey" teased Terri. "Come to think of it. I want to go home too. Things to do and people to see".

"All in good time" replies Dad.

Terri groans and looks down at her fries which she pushes around the plate. I know she is bored. Once dinner was over we were once again on the way back to Boston. It was nice one last family holiday meal before we head home. I know my two siblings didn't enjoy it.

It is now ten at night and I haven't heard from Joey since we talked this morning. I went to bed early as I didn't hear back from Joe. I look at my phone on the table, yep still no notifications from Joe. My heart hurts a bit cos he hasn't got back to me and my messages. I send another.

Are you still busy with your summer job?

And send...

I lie there waiting for a beep of a notification. But my phone is silent. I don't know how long I was lying there but I could hear a noise at my window. Sounded like something hitting it. I get up and go over to the window. I open the window and stick my head out.

"Kelsey".

I look down."Joe what are you doing here?".

"Wanted to see you," he says walking over to the drain pipe and starting to climb up. My boyfriend is living dangerously cos my parents are going to catch him. It wasn't long before Joe came through my window. I quietly shut it.

"Come here, missed you".

"Couldn't you have come earlier?" I said as I was pulled into his embrace. I miss being in his arms all summer. He then kissed me on the lips, just a gentle one to start with. We need to be quiet. If my parents found out there was a boy in my room. I will not be starting a new grade let alone graduating. Joe pulls away for a minute and looks at me.

"Are you okay, Kels?".

"Huh" I look back at Joe BUT Joe isn't Joe. Oh crap. There standing is a brown-haired and brown-eyed. Oh, crap can't be? My head is playing a game with me.

"I said are you okay" replies Joey. "You look like you have seen a ghost".

You could say that.

"I'm good".

He moves back to kiss me again but I move away without knowing I did that.

"Why did you do that?".

"I am worried that parents will hear us" I lied. I can't say that my head is messing with me. Why haven't I told me about The Cod and that kiss? Because it never happened. The boy is their rival.

"Do you want me to go? I missed you all summer" he says sadly.

"I'm sorry. I missed you too. You should have come earlier and not at midnight".

"I know I was busy".

"Your dad has you working hard".

"Yeah and another job".

"They got you working a lot".

"Yeah to help my family".

"Don't work too hard".

He yawns. "Okay I will go home. See you tomorrow, Kelsey".

"Bye Joey". This time I kiss him. I miss my boyfriend. Now looks like I will only see him at school now he has a job. "I'm not going to see much of you now what with theatre work, sports, and now a job".

"I'm sorry. I will always make time for you, Kelsey".

"Aah. Aren't you so sweet".

He kisses me one more time before he disappears out the window into the night. That moment was just like one of those teenage tv programs. The boy comes to his girl's house during the night. I did see Joe during the rest of the summer vacation but he never came during the night.