Chapter 6

"You're safe with us," Jiwoo said, as she led the way, and Hyunjin could already smell another vampire. "We can provide you shelter and blood."

"Thank you so much."

"Oh, no need to thank us! Me and Lip were also brought there by other vampires when we were turned. They didn't hesitate in helping us."

"And where are you taking me?"

"We're like a group that seeks new, young vampires. We're going back to our place."

Hyunjin gulped. She couldn't believe it. Not only the plan had worked, but she was being directly brought to her goal. And now she had to improvise, because the plan was only laid out thus far.

But Jinsol believed her. Heejin as well, probably. She couldn't let them and herself down.

"Lip," Jiwoo called, and a beat later, a girl landed right next to them, coming from the branches above. "This is Hyunjin."

"Call me Jungeun," she told Hyunjin, and she only nodded in response.

The eyes of this girl, Jungeun, shone bright red, the most common color of vampire eyes. The contrast between the girls was obvious, even at a first sight. While Jiwoo had her hair caught in a ponytail with bangs that ended just above her big, kind eyes, Jungeun had her hair down, and her expression and eyes were serious. Not a hint of a smile or relief that Jiwoo brought Hyunjin along.

"Let's get back." Jungeun went on ahead.

Jiwoo gave Hyunjin a smile and they followed Jungeun, wherever it may be.

It was a half an hour walk from where they were. The roads they took started becoming more and more empty, as they drifted away from the center of the city. Hyunjin could see, in a close distance, a small complex of buildings, at the end of that secluded road.

"We're almost there!" Jiwoo said.

As they approached the entrance, guarded by two men, vampires as well, Jiwoo and Jungeun reached for their pockets and took out what seemed like an ID card. The men frowned at them after eyeing Hyunjin.

"Who's that?" one of the guys asked. "A newbie?"

"Yes!" Jiwoo answered. "I found her in the woods, she was running from a slayer while hunting. I believe she's very young."

His jaw visibly clenched, and the other man shook his head. Jungeun kept her face expressionless.

"Take her inside, Jiwoo. Jungeun, go and report the situation."

Jungeun nodded, and stormed away. Jiwoo gave Hyunjin another smile, and she followed her to the nearest building.

"Since it's late, there's no one around," Jiwoo said, as they stepped inside the building. Hyunjin wasn't sure what those buildings had been before, but it seemed like an old, abandoned school.

Jiwoo guided her through the corridors, until she opened a door and urged Hyunjin to go inside.

"Wait just a second!" Jiwoo said, before closing the door.

Hyunjin was left alone, in the white room with a table at the center, a chair on each side, and a couple cupboards at the furthest wall. She took a deep breath and had an urge to text Jinsol, but she had no idea how long Jiwoo would take, so she didn't risk it.

A minute later and Jiwoo was back. She stepped inside and extended a bottle at Hyunjin.

"You're hungry, right? Here, drink."

Red liquid filled the bottle, and yes, Hyunjin was supposed to be hungry.

But...

"Is that human blood?" she asked.