Chapter 10

A bald man, around in his 50s in a black suit and red bow got to the stage and began declaring prices for various items which were placed on the stand on the centre of the ball for everyone to view. These luxurious items included paintings of famous artists, a yacht, a diamond necklace worn by some queen in the 18th century and many other extravagant objects that only wealthy people could bet on.

'...going once, going twice. Sold to the man in the black tuxedo!' the bald man's voice boomed over the speakers. The audience laughed, considering that every man at the ball was wearing a dark suit. Every time he got louder when the fight for the highest bidder ended. Yet he was a good entertainer. Kira heard someone whisper that he used to be a well-known comedian and magician, named Sheldon, even performed for the President of the United States. When the pretty female assistant in red showed a diamond necklace, its brilliance took the audience's breath away. There were many people desiring to buy that necklace. The first bid was 1000 dollars, then it rose rapidly to 2500, 3000 until Reed won it for a whopping 15,000 dollars. Kira gaped at him. Where in the world did he get so much wealth?

Finally, the auction bidding for items finished and the host announced a fascinating surprise.

'No, absolutely not, I don't want to take part,' refused Kira.

'Oh come on, it will be fun!' encouraged Alyson. 'Don't you want to be snatched up by an eligible bachelor?'

'You and I have boyfriends!' Kira reminded her. The idea of being put up for sale in front of so many males disgusted her.

'It's for charity! One harmless dance with a guy who bought you...'

Kira pursed her lips and folded her arms in protest.

'...just one. I'm sure Emmerich can afford you,' she giggled.

'Yeah, Kira, why not? It's totally harmless,' reassured Lauren, looking hopefully in Christian's direction.

Kira almost never said no to her friends. At first, she would decline their offer but then ultimately resigned, two against one was always effective. She, her friends and the rest of the volunteer girls mounted the stairs to the stage. The girl felt like a piece of meat put on display at a butcher's shop. The number of young eager males closely approached the stage, appreciatively examining the selection like a flock of vultures. Of course, the comedian could not start the bidding without giving out a few jokes. Sheldon called each girl individually, asking their names first and then listed fictitious activities of each candidate, improvising. Titters and guffaws were coming from the audience.

When it was Alyson's turn, lots of whistling and wooing reverberated from the male crowd. About five or seven young men made high bids but in the end some old rich man won her for seven thousand dollars. She looked a little displeased, yet hid her discontent by fake smiling. Lauren and Kira chuckled. Lauren was up next, nervously standing in the centre of the stage.

'And what's your name, lovely?' Sheldon asked, placing the mike in front of her face.

'Lauren,' she answered with a quiet, shy voice.

'Lauren is an environmentalist, enjoys extreme sports and romantic dates in an intimate restaurant! What am I bid for the lovely Lauren?'

'500 dollars!' came a hoarse voice from the crowd.

'600 dollars!' a man in a hat screamed.

There was silence for five seconds. The comedian resumed, 'Alright, 600 dollars! Am I bid higher?'

Kira could see that Lauren was feeling embarrassed because all the other girls were bought for no less than 4000 dollars in comparison. 'Going once, going twice...'