Ch. 23: The End of Another Year

After taking a few moments to collect ourselves, Harry, Ginny, Fawkes, and I made our way back to where Ron and the Obliviated Lockhart were waiting. After talking to Ron about what happened for a moment, Fawkes flew overhead of Harry and it seemed as if he was trying to get his attention. When Harry noticed, Fawkes put his talons on Harry's hand and did a flying motion with his wings. Harry seemed to understand what Fawkes was trying to tell him and grabbed onto the phoenix's legs and Fawkes flew into the air.

"Grab on!" Harry yelled as the phoenix had him suspended in mid-air.

We all grabbed each other's legs as the phoenix flew us all back to the girls' bathroom, where we all let go and followed the phoenix to Dumbledore's office to explain what had happened. Eventually, it was just me, Harry, and Ron in the office.

"You do realize, of course, that in the past few hours, you have broken, perhaps, a dozen school rules?" Dumbledore asked us.

"Yes, sir," we all replied in unison.

"And there is sufficient evidence to have you all expelled?"

"Yes, sir."

"Therefore, it is only fitting... that you all three receive special awards for services to the school," Dumbledore said as Harry and Ron smiled at each other. I, on the other hand, still had Voldemort's words in my mind.

"Thanks, sir," Ron said, and Dumbledore smiled at us before standing.

"And now, Mr. Weasley, if you would, have an owl deliver these release papers to Azkaban," Dumbledore said as he picked up a pile of papers and handed them to Ron. "I believe we... we want our gamekeeper back."

Ron nodded before he left the room.

"First, I want to thank you, Harry," Dumbledore said as he looked at him. "You must've shown me real loyalty down in the Chamber. Nothing but that could've called Fawkes to you."

He took a moment as he looked between us.

And, second... I sense something is troubling you both. Am I right?" Dumbledore asked.

Before I could say anything, Harry spoke first, which I was relieved about.

"You see, sir. I couldn't help but notice certain... similarities between... Tom Riddle and me," Harry stated.

"I see. Well, you can speak Parseltongue, Harry. Why? Because Lord Voldemort can speak Parseltongue," Dumbledore stated. "If I'm not mistaken, Harry, he transferred some of his powers to you the night he gave you that scar."

At this, Harry's face turned to one of surprise, as he took a moment to process this before speaking again.

"Voldemort transferred some of his powers... to me?"

"Uh-huh. Not intentionally, but yes," Dumbledore responded before he sat back down behind his desk.

"So, the Sorting Hat was right. I should be in Slytherin," Harry said.

"It's true, Harry, you possess many of the qualities that Voldemort himself prizes: determination, resourcefulness, and, if I may say so, a certain disregard for the rules," Dumbledore said. "Why, then, did the Sorting Hat place you in Gryffindor?"

Harry pondered this question for a moment as he glanced at the Sorting Hat.

"Because I asked it to," Harry said.

"Exactly, Harry, exactly. Which makes you different from Voldemort. It is not our abilities that show what we truly are, it is our choices. If you want proof why you belong in Gryffindor, then I suggest you look more closely at this," Dumbledore said as he picked up the sword and handed it to Harry, who took it carefully and examined it closely, noticing the name 'Godric Gryffindor' engraved on it.