Ch. 10: Mrs. Norris

A few days later, Hermione, Ron, and I were walking down a corridor. Harry was still in detention with Professor Lockhart. As we were walking, we turned a corner, and Harry, who seemed to be in a hurry, stopped in front of us.

"Harry!" Hermione said.

"Did you hear it?" Harry asked.

"Hear what?" Ron asked.

"That... voice," Harry said, to all of our confusion.

"Voice? What voice?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah, Harry, what voice? We didn't hear anything," I said.

"I heard it first in Lockhart's office," Harry said. "And then again, just..." he paused as the rest of us studied him curiously.

"It's moving. I think it's going to... kill," Harry said.

Before anyone could say another word, Harry took off as we all began running to catch up with him. Harry suddenly stopped at a corridor. The first thing I noticed was the water on the ground. 

"Harry, what are you doing?" Ron asked.

Harry pointed to the wall, which had words written in red writing and large letters. It read: 'The Chamber of Secrets has been opened. Enemies of the heir... beware'.

"'The Chamber of Secrets has been opened...?'" Hermione read, seeming confused.

"What's that? Hanging underneath," Ron asked as we all noticed the figure hanging from a torch bracket.

I realized it was Filch's cat, hanging from her tail, with her eyes open, but they were blank and unmoving.

"That's Filch's cat, Mrs. Norris," Hermione said.

Harry looked to the adjacent window as we all followed his eyes. There were a lot of spiders crawling up the wall and out the window.

"Look at that. Have you ever seen spiders act like that?" Hermione asked.

"No, that's strange," I said before I noticed Ron backing up with a look of fear in his eyes. "Ron, you alright?"

"I don't like spiders," he said.

Suddenly, we heard voices as a bunch of students made their way toward us. They fell silent as they reached us, staring at the wall and the cat, seeing us right in front of it. This couldn't end well.

I saw Malfoy make his way to the front as he eyed the wall, and then a grin appeared on his face.

"'Enemies of the heir, beware!'" he read. "You'll be next, Mudbloods!"

He looked directly at me and Hermione when he said this.

I clenched my fist and started to make a step forward before I felt a hand on my arm. I turned to see Hermione, who shook her head just as Filch approached.

"What's going on here? Go on now! Make way," he said before stopping dead in his tracks when he spotted the writing on the wall and his cat. "Mrs. Norris?"

He then turned to Harry.

"You! You've murdered my cat! I'll kill you. I'll-" he said as he made his way toward Harry before a voice interrupted him.

"Argus!" Dumbledore said as he and many teachers made their way to the scene.

Dumbledore saw the wall and his face darkened.

"Everyone will proceed to their dormitories immediately." he said.

He then turned to the four of us as the rest of the students began to make their exit.