01.

Novah

One week until tour

My parents have always been ones to set high expectations for me and my older brother, Nico. Dad's a doctor and mom is an orthodontist, it's safe to say that they both wanted Nico and I to work in the medical field. It's also safe to say they were both heavily disappointed when Nico announced he his major would be fashion design and marketing , and mine family studies.

They never quite understood what the point of my major was. They would tell me "If you want to help people, if you want to help families, why don't you just become a family doctor?" They basically drilled it into our brains from the time we could talk that medicine ran in our blood, we were meant to be doctors. Both of their parents were doctors and it only made sense for me and Nico to also be doctors.

"What do you mean you'll be gone for 5 months?" Mom furrowed her eyebrows together, crossing her arms in the process.

"Don't worry, I'll have breaks within the 5 months and I'll come home to visit whenever I can. You make it sound like I'm moving away for good." I chuckled, praying that the conversation wouldn't escalate to an argument. 

"All I'm saying is we didn't pay for your college tuition just for you to be the help!" She shook her head disapprovingly, a sight I was sadly used to seeing. I bit my tongue as she continued to talk, my body shuddered at the sound of her calling me "the help." "All your dad and I wanted was for you and Nico to be successful and this is-"

I tuned her out at this point, having heard this speech over and over again. This is exactly why I held off on telling them I'd be traveling with Sarah and Mitch. They already didn't approve of me becoming a nanny, so I knew they'd have something to say about me traveling with them. 

Dad sat in silence beside my mom, he usually stood on the sideline until mom was finished. I watched as he pursed his lips and winced every so often at how harsh my moms words could be. I watched her mouth open and close. I saw the way the wrinkles between her eyebrows got more prominent as she spoke, a dead giveaway that she was getting irritated. I watched her but I wasn't listening to a single word that came out of her mouth.

At some point my mom stopped talking, she looked at me with wide eyes like she's waiting for me to bow down and tell her I'm following in her footsteps. It was like her eyes were demanding it.

"I've already taken the job. I love working with this family. Whether you want to admit it or not, I am helping people. I might not be a doctor or a nurse, but what I do matters too. Why does success have to be proven with a salary amount and a title?" I fought back, ready to get this conversation over with.

"Excuse me, No-no, you will not talk to me like that. Nev, tell her." She smacked dads arm. Dad sighed deeply, massaging the bridge of his nose.

"Novah, your mom just wants what's best for you, okay? She's just concerned for you. I mean, do you really want to be a nanny for the rest of your life?" He shrugged.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Typical dad. He was always kinder to us than mom was but he enabled her to treat us the way she does. That makes him no better than her.

"I don't plan on being a nanny forever. If you guys actually listened to me for once you would know this." I shot them a glare, irritation flowed through me. "I took this job just for the meantime until I can land myself a job at the counseling office. Until then, this job makes me happy and it's good money, I really don't see what the problem is."

"Look, I just came here to tell you I'll be leaving in a week. I don't need either one of you trying to talk me out of it or belittle me." I stood from my seat, grabbing my coffee and slinging my purse over my shoulder. They both stared at me as I gathered my things. Mom was visibly upset and my dad just looked so tired.