But for me, it would always be deeper because he's family, practically the only family I have—blood related of course—and on top of that, I grew up with him being this big brother/protector figure for me, and I've always been so used to being able to just walk up to him and simply talk about anything.

Once he left for Portland, it was like...everything in my life changed. I didn't have that support, that protection, that backbone.

I guess it's safe to say that I'd be lost without Gary, and it's also safe to say that within the year that he's been gone...I definitely damn near lost my mind.

So, not only did I have to focus on myself, my son, and my wellbeing...I also realized one more thing: I also needed my cousin this whole time.

"I just wish you were here all the time," I said as I tightened my hold around Gary. "I've missed you a lot.."

Gary chuckled and smiled. "I've missed you, too, Rini...which is why, I have some good news for you."

"What's that?" I asked, looking up at him suspiciously.

"I'm coming back home..." He said with a wide smile.

"Huh?" I asked, titling my head to the side.

Gary sighed and shook his head. "I'm gonna let you sit here and process it before I repeat myself."

Standing there, I went over what Gary said over and over again in my head until it made sense; and honestly, I was as lost as a blind man in a maze. What did he mean he was coming back home? We're from Seattle, Washington...the only other place he considers home was playing for the Warriors and I know—

Wait a minute...

No way...no fucking way...

"Home?" I asked, my eyes watering up again. "As in you're coming back here? As in you got traded to back here? Is that what you're trying to tell me?"

Gary smiled from ear to ear, nodding his head. "Yep, I'm back with the Warriors!"

"Gary Dwayne Payton II, don't play with me right now..." I warned. "Are you deadass? Because if you're joking, I swear, I'll punch you right now!"

"Rini, I'm dead serious," Gary chuckled. "I'm back for good."

Happily, I let out a loud scream and started jumping around like a crazy person, as I smiled from ear to ear. I looked over at Gary, who was simply laughing at me and shaking his head.

"Why are you just standing there?" I asked, walking over to him and grabbing his arm. "Celebrate dammit!"

Gary looked at me like I was insane before sighing and giving in, joining me in jumping around and shouting happily.

I don't know what came over the both of us, but out of nowhere, we began crying...not sad tears, but tears of joy as we hugged each other tightly.

Most importantly, I was happy to have him by my side again, I was excited to have my cousin/best friend back with me.

I knew that this was where he was meant to be, and I was more than happy for him. This was what he deserved and needed. We all needed family, and what's the Warriors without Gary?

What's the Warriors without family?

"Now, what's this about Jaren proposing to you earlier today?" Gary asked, wiping his eyes and laughing.

I laughed and sat down beside him on the floor, leaning my back against the wall and resting my head on his shoulder. "Uh, I guess he wanted to get married and I didn't.."

"Do you not want to get married at all? Or do you not want to get married to him?" Gary asked, catching my bluff.

Smirking, I laughed uneasily and sighed. "I...I don't...I didn't want to get married to him.."

"And I'm guessing that you want to marry Donte, right?" Gary asked, chuckling a bit.

"Is it that obvious?" I groaned, running my hand down my face.

Gary chuckled and nodded. "Yeah, a little. But, it's not a bad thing, Rini. You know who and what you want, but you also know that you have to take a step back to focus on you and work on some things about yourself before you get into something again."

I nodded. "Yeah, and...I don't even think that Jaren wanted to marry me because that's what he really wanted or was ready for.."

"What do you think his reasoning was?" He asked.

"I found out that Jaren asked Donte if he was okay with him proposing to me...and Donte told him that he would rather die than see me spend forever with someone else, which somehow made Jaren think it was a smart idea to propose..." I explained.

"Now, I may be thinking too far into this, but, doesn't that sound...weird to you? Like....?"

Gary nodded. "Oh yeah it definitely does sound weird...it seems like he wanted something to throw in Donte's face. He saw him as competition because he knew."

"Knew what?"

"Nobody is blind, deaf, dumb, or stupid, Rini," Gary said with a grin. "We all knew that you and Donte still love each other. It's obvious. You can see it in how you two look at each other."

My small smile faded as I shifted uncomfortably and hugged my knees to my chest. "Well...I don't think he feels that way anymore...seeing as though now he's going to avoid me because of this shit Jaren pulled."

"Wait," Gary said. "He's now ignoring you? Without knowing that you said no?"

"I guess he assumed that I would say yes..." I shrugged.

Gary shook his head. "He gives up too easily..."

"I agree..."

"But you know he can't be the only one fighting for you, right?" He said. "Donte been fighting for you for the longest, and sure he wins you over every time, but, you gotta fight for him, too. It can't be one-sided."

I scrunched up my face. "So what am I supposed to do? Chase him?"

Gary scrunched up his face. "Hell no. I didn't say all that. That's the last thing I want you to do. All I'm saying is, put in the same effort you would want him to put in for you. And it doesn't always have to be in the most obvious way possible, remember the little things matter."

"Wait, I thought you didn't like Donte..." I asked, looking up at him.

Gary smirked. "I didn't at first, but I see how happy he makes you, and how much he truly loves you, and how much you love him. That's what makes me like him for you."

"So you're not gonna torture him during your first practice back with the Warriors?" I asked.

Gary chuckled and shook his head. "Oh, I didn't say all that, because I am definitely gonna bother him, and I definitely have a reason to talk to him now."

"Just don't go into crazy overprotective cousin mode, okay? Dial it back.." I giggled.

"Oh, Rini," He said, putting his arm around my shoulder. "I'm always in that mode, because my job is to protect you."

"And what's my job?" I asked, laughing as I looked up at him.

"Your job is to be my helpless, lovesick, damsel in distress baby cousin that I protect at all costs!" he exclaimed dramatically, hugging me tightly.

I smiled. "I think I can do that.."

<>

END OF CH. 09
What did you guys think?

- Just a cute cousin bonding moment between Rini & Gary!