Chapter Two

Hide and Seek

"Hurry Jenn before I leave you!" I say through the phone. I've been waiting on Jenn to come out for a century now. What could be so important in school anyways? Me and Alix were already in the car while Dillian went to grab some things from his place. "I'm coming I'm coming," Jenn says. I roll my eyes before hanging up the phone. "She's talking to Zuri. She posted a picture of them on her story just now." Alix says from the backseat. She was sprawled out across the seats while eating an apple. "They're talking?!" I say in excitement. Alix just shrugs. "It looks like it," She says before taking another bite of her apple.

"There she is," I say pointing to Jenn who was running to the car. "I have her number!! I'm so excited guys!!" She says squealing. "Finally! I'm so happy for you Jenn!" I say hugging her as tight as I could. "Yeah me too," Alix says. We all knew she definitely didn't care. "Where's Dill?" Jenn asks looking around. "He went to grab some things from his house," I say pulling out of school.
***
"Nothing has changed," Alix says looking around. "It looks exactly how it was when we were younger," Jenn adds,taking off her shoes. "Where's your mom and dad?" Jenn asks. I shrug. "They'll be home soon i guess. Dill should be on the way," I say walking upstairs. Jenn follows me as Alix walks into the kitchen. "I see you've changed up your room," Jenn says as she walks around my room. "Yeah. Didn't want it to be pink forever," I say. Both of our gazes shoot toward the door as it burst open. "I made it!!" Dillian says flopping down onto the bed. "Nice room. Also your mom and dad are downstairs talking with Al."

Conversations with Al never goes well since she can't keep her mouth shut. "Maybe we should go stop that." I say before we're rushing downstairs and into the kitchen where Al is seated on the counter and my parents at the table. "Oh there you guys are! I was just talking about Jenns crush on Zuri!" I turn to look at Jenn who's face is bright red. "How about we all go upstairs hm?" They all nod as we start to go upstairs. "So," I say pulling out the list of things to do. "We should play hide and seek tonight so it'll be more fun." I say and they nod. "Let's play in the cornfield!" Alix suggests. Dillian agrees while me and Jenn have skeptical looks on our faces. "Oh come on! It'll be fun and scary! You love scary stuff Y/n," Alix says, almost convincing me.

"Yeah but that's scary. What if something happens?" Dillian laughs at me. "Like what? Someone hiding a dead body in the corn? It's gonna be fine Y/n!" I roll my eyes. "Fine," I say. "Jenn?" I ask her. "I guess I'm in too." Alix and Dillian claps and cheers. "Yeah yeah, don't celebrate too much I'll still change my mind," I say and they almost immediately stop cheering. "Now, let's do some of these things on the list."

***
Sleepover Activities 101 was actually a very good list. We've had a lot of fun bringing back old memories and adding new memories. We've gotten a few noise complaints from my mom saying we were too loud, but that didn't stop us from being even louder. It was around midnight now and we're preparing to sneak out for the hide and seek game. "Everyone has their jackets?" I ask and they nod. We quickly sneak down the stairs and into Dillians car.

"How far away is the cornfield?" I ask. "Just an hour outside of town," Dill says as he backs out of the driveway. I curl up in the seat, bracing myself for the long ride.

***
"Ok so this is how we're playing. One person seeks while everyone else run and hides," Dill says. "What if we get lost?" Jenn asks nervously. She was very obviously scared. "It'll be okay Jenn," I say patting her shoulder. "Who's seeking first?" Al asks. "I'll seek first," Dillian says. "You all go hide." He says before he start to count. Al runs to the right, Jenn to the left, and me straight ahead. I turn corner after corner, finally settling behind a crow.

I couldn't hear Jenn or Al running and hiding anymore. My palms were starting to sweat and I becoming paranoid. Is it really safe to be out here? A few minutes pass and there still isn't any action going on around me. I leave my hiding spot to walk around and try to find someone. It was dark and the only light source I had was the moon. My footsteps came to a halt as I heard footsteps in front of me. My heart rate picked up as I slowly turned the corner. Who is this woman? There stood a lady's silhouette. I froze, not able to move a muscle.

What was she doing in the cornfield this late? She picked up a shovel from beside her before starting to dig a hole. My eyes drifted down toward the black bag that was sat by her feet. The hairs on my back of my neck stood up. Millions of possibilities ran through my head about what could be in that bag. Why else would she be in a cornfield late at night digging a hole? She digs for a while, her breathing becoming heavy. I was sure she didn't notice me yet. The mystery woman reached into her bag before pulling out a hand? I gasped loudly as my eyes widened. The woman turned around in a hurry as she dropped the hand, I was met with her beautiful face. The moonlight hit her features just right.

Her long red hair fell just below her shoulders. "What are you doing here! How long have you been there!" She said coming closer to me. "W-was that a hand?!" I say visibly shaking. "It was none of your business! Now get the hell out of here!" She says pushing me backwards. "I'm calling the police!" I say pulling out my phone. She throws herself at me. We both fall as I scream for help, hoping anyone would hear. "No one's gonna hear you so shut up!" She puts her hand over my mouth, silencing me.

"Y/n! Where are you it's getting late!" I hear Dills voice in the distance. "Come out Y/n it isn't funny anymore!" Jenn says almost..crying? "Jennifer's right Y/n! We're scared!" Alix yells. "Y/n hm? Such a pretty name. I'm Diane." She says before stabbing a syringe into my neck. Everything went black as I stopped hearing the pleads and begs of my friends.