004 confessions & tears

Start from the beginning

Quietly closing the door to her bedroom, she got to work. The watch was about the size of her palm. With a gold finish, its thick glass made it nearly unbreakable reinforced with the notion that the clock was charmed. There was no barrier separating the watch and its clogs, making the small wheels visible. White-painted Roman numerals delicately told the time with slick black handles. Ariadne had to admit, the pocket watch was beautiful and designed impressively.

She tried every charm she could think of. The watch was still. Nothing happened. No secret message revealed or compartment opened. Ariadne wondered why Mace Passel would carry a watch identical to her father's while it wasn't working. Maybe she was looking too much into it. Maybe Passel just wanted extra weight when going to a pure-blooded rally. Maybe he forgot it was in his pocket. Ariadne sighed, running her fingers through her brunette hair. She had gotten nowhere. Perhaps it was time to turn the watch in and hope another auror could uncover its secrets. After all, a new perspective could solve the problem.

The small elf apparated next to her, making Ariadne jump at the intrusion. "Bombey would like to inform Miss Nott that dinner is ready," the elf said politely.

"Thank you Bombey. Can you bring my dish up here?" she asked, hoping to avoid an awkward dinner while trying to hide the pocket watch from the elf's sight.

"But Mr Scamander is waiting for you downstairs. Would you like me to tell him you won't be eating with him?"

"Yes please," she said, without wasting a second.

Ariadne and Theseus followed Mathéo as he led them into the French Ministry of Magic Headquarters. The French were more elegant with their architectural designs. Glass roofs and walls were decorated with drawings of magical creatures. It almost felt like a dream. Instead of dark rich colours, the Ministry was coated in pale blues, contrasting with Britain's gloomy feel.

"Come this way," Mathéo led them into an elevator shaped out of wooden branches. He led them past the auror office. The tall windows allowed both Theseus and Ariadne to look in. Just like the entrance, the auror office was decorated with elegance. Blue seemed to be their choice of colour as the wallpaper mirrored the shade. Rows of desks lined the office evenly with different aurors stationed around. A familiar auror was heading in, though he glared at Ariadne before closing the door.

"Who is that?" she asked, curiously.

"Nathan Carrow," Mathéo answered, having caught sight of who she was referring to. It amused him to see her scrunch up her face. Just like Ariadne, he too was fed up with Carrow's behaviour. When Carrow pointed his wand at Eloise, it was almost refreshing to see Ariadne fight back so easily. Carrow had glanced at Mathéo first, bitter that his Head Auror allowed the brunette witch to get away with threatening him.

Mathéo escorted them to Eloise's cell. Aurors stood at the door, a mandatory requirement. The small window in the door allowed Ariadne to peek into the room. She could see Eloise's blonde hair covering her face. Stepping back, Ariadne turned to face the two men.

"Let me talk to her first." Mathéo nodded but what surprised her was the slow tilt of Theseus' head. A signal that he agreed with her request.

Nonetheless, Ariadne stepped into the room. Her footsteps echoed in the dark cell. Eloise's head lifted as she entered. The younger girl looked broken. Her messy blonde hair and bags under her eyes suggested her struggle to sleep which wasn't surprising since she had been here her whole night. Placing down a chocolate muffin, Ariadne nodded at Eloise, motioning for her to take it. She was hesitant at first, but her hunger eventually gave in.

"Tell me what happened at the rally."

"You are exactly what he says you are," Eloise commented, ignoring the question and eating her muffin.