[3] FLIGHT

The cave ended in a ledge halfway up the mountain. He couldn't see how high he was because the mist only allowed him to imagine that there was an abyss under his feet. Or contrary to that, perhaps he was closer to the ground than he thought.

      Nirabata carefully peered around the edge, looking for a way down. He doubted he would have to go back and find another way. Entering the sea to go around the mountain would be the last of his options, as he didn't want to find out what he might find.

      Suddenly, the squawk of a bird caught his attention. He raised his head slowly and turned to the left, finding a black bird perched on a rock. It had small eyes that shone in a dim red color and ruffled black plumage that at times seemed to release some dust that dissolved around the small hunched body. Nirabata believed that the bird might be injured, so he approached it, noticing to his horror that the animal's skeleton was intermittently visible, as if it were slowly falling apart, but not dying in the process.

      The bird cawed once more before suddenly darting towards the little boy who ducked just in time to avoid it. He had the urge to scream, but found that his throat was making no sound. His heart lurched in his chest – he didn't know if it was from being attacked by a half-dead bird, or from realizing that he couldn't speak.

      Some small rocks fell on him, and when he raised his head he realized that there were more strange birds staring at him. They were like smudges of dirt on an endless gray wall. His heart skipped a beat as he watched them fall in his direction making strange noises that made him shudder.

      The boy sat up quickly and waved his arms and closed his eyes in a vain attempt to ignore the terror that spread throughout his body. He tried to back away but stumbled and just fell over the edge. It was strange to have the urge to scream and not be able to, as he felt his body descend. Then the wind hit him in the face and he was suddenly pushed by an invisible force that made him speed away from the mountain.

      He didn't know what was happening. He was only aware of the hard impact seconds later. He rolled across the sand until he ended up sliding face-first through it to a stop.

      His arms burned where the birds had hurt him. He was afraid to check the state of his injuries. He trembled a little, because the unknown began to make him feel out of place. He had the feeling that he had lost something, but he didn't know what. It was something from within him being that told him that something was terribly wrong.

      Nirabata stayed on the ground for a long time trying to calm his racing heart, until he had to breathe and get his head out of the sand. He could still hear the birds fluttering somewhere, but at least he breathed easy knowing they weren't close enough to attack him again.

      He stood up carefully, brushed off his clothes, and looked ahead to where a light was barely sticking out of the mist. He just took a quick look around, making sure he wasn't in any danger, before cautiously walking towards the light.

      Again he was only accompanied by the sound of his footsteps and the distant hum of the sea. As he got closer to his target, he discovered that it was a light in the shape of a child. Instantly, a slight electricity ran through his body, as if he was drawn to the energy in front of him.

"Tap to get the winged light."

      The phrase echoed in his head just as it did before when he was Home and when he entered Isle of Dawn. As sudden and natural as if it was something he should know.

      He finished approaching and only stretched out his hand to touch the enlightened child, who dissolved into a yellow dust that fluttered around him. The winged light was absorbed by his body. The energy boiled in his chest with more force and lifted him a little off the ground, at the same time that a cloak appeared over his shoulders and a mask began to cover his face. Then a flash escaped from his body before he felt the ground under his feet again.

      Isle of Dawn was indeed a strange place. It didn't look like the warm place he had seen in the arches. Nirabata only felt more confused about it. He could hardly imagine what the Island might have been like in ancient times. Until now, all he knew for sure was that he should stay away from birds and that winged light was good. That, and that he still had to find the spirits. In the thick fog, he had no idea where to start.

      With the cloak obtained, he now felt warm and protected. He thought that, at least, he would have something to cover himself with from the cold that he was just beginning to perceive.

Hello! Many apologies for skipping posting last week, but here we continue! I hope you all enjoy the beginning of this little moth's journey.