9

If, at the start of your day, someone had informed you that you would be peeling a pair of high heels off in Levi Ackerman's apartment at the end of the night, you would've assumed that they were sorely mistaken. Yet, there you were and so were your shoes, chucked hastily in the corner beside you. 

The entire night had been hazy and overwhelming, and you had met more people than you could ever have imagined. Erwin and Hange had made a very nice first impression, but after a few shared glasses of wine there was no longer any need for formalities; you found yourself dancing with Hange for a good portion of the night as Levi and Erwin both talked elsewhere.

You recalled being able to feel his stare on you even in a crowded building. 

By the end of the formal, you were far beyond your limit of inebriation, and the shoes you were in weren't making it any easier to bear. Once again, Levi was going to have to walk you home. Your walking knight in shining armor. Shining sneakers? It didn't matter.

Yet, for some reason, he decided that his apartment was the optimal place to go. It was practically adjacent to the building that hosted the formal, so it was probably best to stay there for a while and sober up. 

The both of you existed quietly in his apartment now, his two roommates probably out enjoying their nights. You sat on a barstool and swirled a glass of water in your hand, making half-hearted attempts to sip it. It was pretty useless, as your vision was blurred beyond belief. 

Levi leaned against the counter, plenty more collected than you were. His tie was a smidge loose, which was the only telltale sign that he wasn't in his usual state of mind. You found yourself staring at him. He looked even better than usual beneath his dim kitchen lighting. 

"Can I ask something?" you questioned, setting your glass down on the counter with a heavy clink. He nodded blankly in response.

"Why is it that you do the things you do?" you managed to say.

You could have sworn you saw him smile. "What are you talking about, Alien?"

"That. I'm talking about that," you emphasized, "Like shoot me a rude remark and then walk me home and invite me to parties and all that stuff. The confusing stuff. I'm confused. You're confusing."

"Really?" was all he said. His arms were folded over his chest and you noticed exactly how big they were. 

"Yes," you began, "Sasha even said you're a nightmare. Then you bring me flowers and take me to a formal and you don't make any sense, Levi. Why are you so un-sense-making? Nonsensical. That word."

He made his way to your end of the kitchen, planting a hand on the countertop next to you. His fingernails really were perfectly clean. His kitchen was too. If he was a character in one of your Sims playthroughs, you would have given him the neat freak trait.

"Tell me more about it," he said, looking down at you, "My un-sense, that is."

You groaned and tilted your head far backwards. "You're so blank. Like, I feel like if someone were to gift you millions of dollars you would just look like the slanty-face emoji," you stated, attempting to twist your mouth into a diagonal slant. 

"You're just so straight line. Like, heartbeat stopped, deceased-heart-monitor-line kind of straight.  We could go on a million walks in our lifetime and I would probably never once see you genuinely smile," you continued, "Half the time it feels like you're obsessed with me and the other half it's like I don't even know what you're thinking. What are you thinking Levi?"

He nestled his free hand under your chin and pulled you to him, kissing you and effectively stealing the words from your mouth. You instantly melted into the foreign feeling, wrapping your arms around his neck in euphoric fulfillment. This was your answer. He was thinking of you.

The two of you stayed in that position for a while, only stopping the kisses every so often to take shallow breaths. This moment was what the both of you had wanted for weeks, and the confusing, subtle build up had made it that much more rewarding when the catalyst finally activated. 

"I have wanted this, and you," he huffed, "longer than you could ever even realize." He whispered between breathy pauses, his hand settled on the back of your neck. "Is that selfish of me to say?"

"If it is, then let us both be selfish," you replied several breaths later.

And this marked the start of something inexplicably great.