chapter eight

AS THE CLOCK NEARED 7, Athena couldn't understand why she was nervous to see Pedro

    AS THE CLOCK NEARED 7, Athena couldn't understand why she was nervous to see Pedro. She stalked his instagram profile and found it to be intimidating. He's so much funnier than me, she thought, there's no way he's gonna have a good time tonight.

  It also didn't help that Athena wasn't sure on what tonight actually was. She didn't know if Pedro thought this was a date — well, she didn't even know if it was a date or not. As she was pacing around her New York loft, she called Andrew Garfield.

  "Andrew — I don't know how to act."

  "Just be yourself. I've met Pedro before, he's really cool and nice."

  "I've met him too, but I'm not sure if this is even a date. Do I act like it's a date? Do I flirt? Jesus, I haven't done this in so long."

  Andrew sighed on the other side of the phone, "Pull it together St. James, you're gonna be fine. Just be yourself."

  "Thanks, Andrew," she said sarcastically. "I'm just nervous. What if I really like him?"

  "Would that be such a bad thing?" He questioned.

  Athena paused and looked down, "Yes. It would."

  Andrew sighed and reassured her, "Oscar knows you better than anyone. He wouldn't have you meet this guy if he thought it wouldn't be good for you. Plus, you said you really liked him the other night, right?"

"Yeah, but we were both drunk."

"Alcohol makes people more honest," Andrew stated.

"No, that's something people made up to make them feel better about themselves."

  Just as Athena finished her sentence, she heard a knock on the door, "Fuck — he's here. Do I look okay?" She asked Andrew.

  "I'm on the phone, love." He chuckled.

  "Fuck - right. I'll call you after." She hung up the phone and straightened up her appearance in the mirror. She tried to look cute, but not like she was trying too hard. But she was.

  She opened the door and there stood Pedro, with a bouquet of yellow roses.

  This was definitely a date.

  Athena grinned and motioned to the flowers, "Yellow roses. How'd you know?"

  Pedro grinned, "Oscar told me they're your favorite."

  Athena smiled and said, "That's very thoughtful. I appreciate it."

  Athena stared at him for a moment. She hasn't really taken the time to memorize his face when they first met the other night. She liked his eyes, and his smile.

  Pedro interrupted her train of thought and asked, "Can I come in?"

  "Oh — yes, ya. Sorry," she stepped aside to let him in.