【?̷̱̙͕̼̂̉̆͘̚?̸̡̛̬̭̰̦͚̬̘̪̒̒ͅ?̶̺̊̈】

Start from the beginning

•······································▪······································

Wukong panted as he ran through the forest, yelling. "Ӽ̶ɛ̶ռ̶ʝ̶ʊ! Ӽ̶ɛ̶ռ̶ʝ̶ʊ! Where are you!? Come out now, this isn't funny!" He screamed at the top of his lungs, swerving around trees. Where were they?! Where they hurt!? He only took his eyes off them for one second- "WUKO!!! HELP ME, PLEASE!!" He perked up when he heard the child's voice, before bolting forward. "I'M COMING! DON'T WORRY, I'M COMING!" He screamed, trying to reassure them. He grunted as he continued to run to the source of their voice. Wukong ran even faster, panting heavily as he heard their screams getting louder. He needed to get to them. He needed them to be alive. Though... His worst fear had come true. He stopped when he saw the child laying in a flower field on their side. He ran to them, crouching down, but growing increasingly worried as he spotted blood beneath them. The blood was dripping onto the beautiful white flowers, coating them in a dark red substance. "Xji." Wukong muttered, before picking her up and placing her on his lap. He saw their lifeless dull grey eyes, accompanied by a large gash on their stomach. Their kitsune mask was lying beside them, revealing the face that his behind it. "Xji! PLEASE SAY SOMETHING, ANYTHING!" He yelled, shaking them, desperately trying to wake them up. Yet, the child's dull grey eyes stared up at him, mocking him that Ӽ̶ɛ̶ռ̶ʝ̶ʊ was already gone. "No... H-How.." Tears fell from his eyes, falling on the child's pale face. He stood, before walking away to tell his master the horrible news. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." He shakily whispered. "I'm sorry I've failed you."

•······································▪······································

"Master, can I ask you something about Xji?" Wukong asked, as Tripitaka continued to stare at Ӽ̶ɛ̶ռ̶ʝ̶ʊ as they talked with Zhu Bajie, eating the food the Celestial Swine had made them. Tang Sanzang turned to the monkey, smiling politely. "Yes, what is it you would like to know?" Wukong looked at him, then back at Ӽ̶ɛ̶ռ̶ʝ̶ʊ. "Why do they wear a mask, them seem fine taking it off around us, so why wear it?" He curiously asked, making Sanzang chuckle. "Well, they are a bit of a shy one, as you can tell. The real reason to why they wear it is because it was one of the last gifts from their parents before being killed. You see, Ӽ̶ɛ̶ռ̶ʝ̶ʊ's parents were killed by demon, forcing them to abandon Ӽ̶ɛ̶ռ̶ʝ̶ʊ in a nearby village at only two years old. The mask was one of the only things with them." He frowned, before shaking his head and continuing his story. "They learned how to live by themselves. They learned to walk and run by watching others from a distance. They had great reflexes, and learned how to be very sneaky. They used to steal food and clothes from nearby shops, which is how I met them. I took them for a while, taught them how to read, write, and be kind to others. They are a good child." He finished, as Wukong looked at him with wide eyes. Sanzang looked at Wukong, smiling once again. "But they put all of that behind them now. Ever since meeting you, they have been in a better mood." He said, turning back to the child as they laughed with the pig. Wukong followed his eyes, sighing before standing up. Tang looked at him as he spoke determined. "Well, no matter what. I promise to protect them from anything." Wukong turned to Tang, confidence written all over his face as his eyes sparkled. "At any cost."

•······································▪······································

•• ━━━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━━━ ••

-Notes-

Sorry if the pilgrims were a bit out of character, I don't know too much about their personalities and relationships, so I had to just go with what I knew.

This chapter was supposed to be after Shadow Play, but since I hadn't finished it, I decided to post this now. 

-FlowerFall