Chapter 6 - House Opposite

Y/n was on their way home from the village centre and more prominently, the library. Finally meeting Elizabeth made Y/n feel something entirely new. A fuzzy sort of feeling. Happiness? Nervousness? Panic? 

They didn't know, but they will. Soon.

Stepping through their front door, Y/n called out to their parents that they have finally returned, gracing the dull house with their presence.

"Your mother's out" Called Y/n's father.

"And why aren't you?" They teased, knowing full well their dad won't leave the house unless physically forced to.

"You know me-"

"Yeah yeah." They cut him off, climbing the stairs up to their small room.

They pushed open the bedroom door and was meant with the discarded boxes from yesterday evening and this morning.

They sighed deeply, knowing they're actually going to have to do some work.

But what's the harm in leaving it another day?

"Y/n don't even think about leaving those boxes another day!" Came their father's yell from downstairs, causing an even deeper sigh to claw it's way out of their throat.

The sound of the doorbell ringing echoed through the house, making Y/n jump up with a yell of 'i'll get it'. Anything to get out of unpacking.

Y/n flung open the door and was met with a middle aged woman holding a small pot of flowers who smiled kindly when she saw Y/n. 

"Hello! I'm Jarnette Olsen, I saw we had new neighbours so I just wanted to drop by and introduce myself and welcome you to the neighbourhood" The woman explained cheerily. "I brought these, a housewarming gift" She passed the pot to Y/n who took it graciously.

"Hi, I'm Y/n! These are beautiful thank you, and thank you for the welcome" They smiled

"Oh no bother, no bother. I like to get to know new people, make them feel comfortable in where they are." She smiled at them again. 

"Do you live opposite?" Y/n asked curiously.

"Yes! With my three daughters. You might've seen them if you've been into town"

"Two of your daughters wouldn't happen to be twins would they? Blonde? Well- all three are blonde." Y/n caught on to the connection immediately.

"You've met Mary-Kate and Ashley?" Y/n nodded at the older woman, "Elizabeth too?"
Again, Y/n nodded.

"Oh that's wonderful, I'm so glad they're making friends" Jarnette smiled fondly at the thought of her daughters. "Did they say we lived opposite?"

Y/n shook their head "We just got a quick introduction before I had to leave I'm afraid."

"Excuse me for my invading but how old are you?"

The woman's question surprised Y/n but it was to be expected, Y/n was slightly taller than most kids their age and had a mature aura about them. Y/n laughed before replying "I'm sixteen ma'am"

Jarnette scoffed "Ma'am" and rolled her eyes but let out an amused 'hmph' at Y/n's answer "I'd have guessed eighteen at the least"

"Most people say that" Y/n shrugged, fiddling with the cuff of their sleeve.

Jarnette smiled "My youngest is sixteen" 

"Elizabeth?" Y/n looked up quickly at the mention of the girl they had been introduced to.

The older woman's eyes glinted in amusement "So it was you she was looking at yesterday"

Y/n opened their mouth, about to request an explanation but was shut down quickly by the Olsen.

"Can't stay long!" She exclaimed, retreating down the Y/l/n's path "Lovely to meet you Y/n!"

"You too Jarnette!" Y/n smiled at her before closing the door and placing the gift on the kitchen table.

"She seemed nice" Came their father's voice from the front room.

"Did you listen to our conversation?" Y/n asked bluntly

"I wanted to be a part of it! I just couldn't be arsed moving" He defended 

Y/n shook their head "Typical" they muttered before walking back upstairs.

As they lay on their bed, simply thinking, Y/n dwelt on what Jarnette had said about Elizabeth seeing them yesterday. The thought of the girl looking at them, watching them without Y/n even trying to put on a show for her, it made their stomach flutter and a warm tint crept up their face.