Chapter Nineteen

As I was getting ready for the report, my maids were ecstatic, smiling and scurrying across my room, trying to get every detail of my dress ready. Lucy was full of excitement, hustling around as if her fragileness has disappeared, and Mary was sewing. 

But it was different now, Anne was no longer supervising the room since she was gone, not dead thankfully but recovering from a severe wound with her family.

Tears trickled down my cheeks, some out of sadness, some from joy, but most from hope. I was so overwhelmed with emotion I hardly noticed when Aspen slipped into the room.

"Don't cry Mer," he whispered, placing a hand on my shoulder, "crying is only for when you lose, and it looks like you've won." 

I flashed him a smile. It had been a long time since I'd loved Aspen, a tremendous one since we'd been going out. But now he was brotherly, like the older brother I've never truly had ever since Kota left the family. 

"Oh get out of here!" Mary exclaimed, "Lucy's just been staring at you and hardly working on Lady America's dress!" 

Aspen's cheeks turned a rosy color America had never seen before. He turned and gave Lucy a toothy grin before muttering something in her ear and turning around, leaving the room. "I'm happy he has you," I said to Lucy, "now I hope that you can continue on that surprise, I'm really anxious now."

Lucy just doubled in soft laughter as I got up and put on a scarce amount of makeup since I wanted to look decent for the reveal. 

.   .   .

I was the first in the women's room, which wasn't surprising because it was just me and Kriss left. It felt lonely without Queen Amberly since she'd been killed in the attack, trying to protect her husband. 

Silvia was standing there, waiting for me and Kriss to show. All she did was gasp as I walked in, before curtsying and muttering, "you look stunning!" I tried to smile at her, still nervous, smoothing out my shining blue dress to pass time. 

Finally, Kriss came in her dress a buttery yellow with gold. Her smile looked forced as she met my eyes. But, before either of us could speak Silvia piped up.

"Girls, let's get going," she said calmly, leading us to the room where the report took place.

When we walked in I saw Maxon sitting on the throne where King Clarkson usually sat. It seemed strange, but fitting, Maxon had become more kingly throughout the selection. Before I could speak, Kriss ran towards him.

The embrace seemed genuine, Kriss hugged Maxon tightly and as I passed, heading to my seat, I heard her whisper, "I'll love you no matter who you chose."

I wished I could've been the one to say that, I wished I could've walked up and held Maxon in my arms, for possibly the last time. Instead, I relaxed, heading over to my seat, closest to the throne. 

"Alright set up! Report starts in 3... 2... 1!" Some cameraman called. I straightened my posture as the cameras started filming.

"I am pleased to say that today I will be choosing the winner of the selection, but that joyful announcement will be after the moment of silence for King Clarkson and Queen Amberly, whose lives were taken in the recent rebel attack," Maxon breathed, his voice firm. If you didn't know him you would've assumed he was calm, but I knew that he was just pushing down the emotions, the sadness that overwhelmed him.

I sat silently for several minutes, staring at Maxon with compassion, for I knew what it was like to lose a parent. 

"Alright," Maxon said eventually clearing his throat, "now is the reason for this report, the announcement of my future wife." 

Everyone seemed to be leaning in as he said, "Lady America." 

Tears welled in my eyes, glazing them as Maxon came up to me, stretching out his hand. I laughed with relief I he pulled me up into an embrace, kissing my forehead in the process. "I love you," he whispered into my ear after playfully tugging it.

"Me too," I said gently, kissing him quickly, before walking over to Kriss after the cameras stopped filming. 

I smiled genuinely at her, and surprisingly Kriss smiled back. "He'll be happier with you," she said gently, "I love him, and always will, but he just cares for me and it's nothing like what he has for you."

"Thanks," I say, "anyways, get ready for a rush of men when you get back." Kriss laughed at the joke, walking out of the room, as Maxon came over.

"I made the right choice," he whispers into my ear, "I'll never doubt you again, America."

And with that, I lean forward and kiss him.