Chapter Five

I couldn't bare being this close to the life I lived for two months, so I left. I simply ran away from my hotel in the middle of the night, leaving money on the front counter.

Now I was hopelessly lost in the woods, so when I saw a fire I was desperate. I ran over, collapsing beside the flames and seeing a girl, sitting next to a boy and a man old enough to be their father.

My eyes started to close but I pushed them awake. "Georgia!" The man hollered at the girl, "you and Micah put her in a tent to rest.

"No," I rasped, exhausted and hungry. 

"Yes," the man said, "we will be here in the morning."

When I woke up I saw the girl asleep at my side, in another sleeping bag. I assumed the boys were in another tent so I got up and quietly slipped away. Outside I saw the older man, cooking something on the fire.

"Hello," I said softly, hoping he heard me.

I saw him look up, noticing me he said, "good morning. My name is August." 

Nodding I said, "my name is America." I saw him chuckle and mutter, of course, under his breath. I giggled and saw the other two people come out of their tents.

"Michah, Georgia, meet Mrs. Singer," August said. She looked horrifyingly at him about to say something but Georgia beat her to it. 

"Are you getting married to Maxon?" She asked, almost squealing with delight, assuming I was.

I shook my head, "I'm over him...his father eliminated me and threatened to punish him. Still, he got rid of me for some silly reputation."

I got sympathetic glances before I told them, "My driver, who was supposed to take me to Carolina was part of your rebellion. I want to help you."

Micah nodded, "but what do you want as part of the rebellion? Do you want respect? Vengeance?" 

Struggling to find the right words I said, "I was placed in this situation wanting revenge on Maxon, but the more I realize it I want to join you. I need a purpose and what better than this? I could help get rid of the castes!"

Georgia smiled and August started clapping. I laughed at their response before I heard August say, "free-spirited and bold." I fell off my log seat and into the crackling leaves. Micah erupted with laughter and I realized I was having fun. 

"Can I stay with you?" I asked.

"Sure," Micah replied, fidgeting with some scraps of metal.

August nodded as well and said, "well Marella has been waiting long enough for us...at least we have the excuse of a new recruit." I saw Georgia giggle as she packed up camp, the tents were actually pretty light and so was everything else. 

The rebels started walking, and I followed them eagerly. We trekked for miles through the forest and I inhaled all of the comforting scents and listened to the sweet melody of the birds chirping. This reminded me of Carolina...warmer, but just as refreshing.

Leaves crackled under my feet, my ragged shoes had large holes at the bottom so dirt was splattered over my foot. I just laughed it off, telling them about what happened and my life while they told me about theirs. 

"...so when they took Persephone I followed those guards and set her free," Georgia explained, sharing her old life with them. The life before she became a rebel. 

I nodded, thinking about the choice I'd made. Would I have to raid the palace? Would I be killed? Would Maxon hate me if he found out? 

I don't care about Maxon anymore! I thought hastily. He was my ex now...if we ever actually loved each other and it wasn't just some stupid game where he could manipulate beautiful girls like toys.

Finally, I saw a fire and noticed many tents and a few ramshackle houses. Assuming this was where the main group camped I followed August tentatively towards the largest hut of them all. 

Inside everything was dusty, I saw a throne-like chair and on it was a strikingly beautiful woman. "Hello, August...I see you've brought visitors along with your team."

"No," he said to her, in a sharp tone, "she's come to stay."

The woman glared at August, shooting Micah, and Georgia looks, "she goes. Now!" 

As we started to walk out Georgia patted my back, "we'll wait until she's calm to talk again America. Marella tends to have quite a temper." 

Suddenly Marella said, "did you say America?" Looking at me she saw my red hair and distinguished blue eyes. 

I nodded briefly, "well we can use you to our advantage on our next raid. You are staying!"