TEN/ ELEVEN

XARYA"an adventure south"⚜️

X
ARYA
"an adventure south"
⚜️

The sound of snickering horses filled the air, mixing with the shuffling of boots. Arya's own horse gave a gruff snort of his snout as Jon came into sight, remaining stoic at the turning of the crossroads, watching as the rest of the main procession carried on the way he would not. With a shout of his name, she pulled up beside him, patting the head of his horse, who was quiet. Jon's face was pulled taunt, eyes scanning the lines. 

Arya frowned, finding her hands drifting to grip her waist. Had she been born a man, her fingers would have found the hilt of a sword. Instead, it was just the rough-spun materials of a thin, brown autumn dress. It was too thin to be worn in Winterfell and was only meant for the road until they would end up under the warmer, southern sun, but Arya hated it more than any winter clothing she could be forced into. At least in that, she had more freedom. There would be no riding leathers in King's Landing, she figured, thinking of all she'd heard about true summer weather. Down in the crownlands, there would be no white, icy sun, but a ball of constant fire, hanging in a blue sky like a torch. Arya already hated the idea of it.

At least she had needle. The sword that Jon had given her was thin and juvenile in comparison to the steel her brothers trained with, but it could bring her some comfort, letting her think of Jon. But even now, as he sat beside her on his horse, she could only picture the large, looming wall of ice that he would soon occupy. Arya would see the wall one day, she was sure, but Jon would live it. The thought sent obvious shivers down her back, making her brother glance her way.

"You remember what I told you, don't you?" Jon said.

Dark eyebrows hung low as he drifted back from his deep thoughts. He was waiting for father before he headed northwards with the men of the night watch and Tyrion Lannister as company. But Ned Stark was not yet in sight and Arya had her brother for a little while longer. 

"Stick 'em with the pointing end," she said, nodding her head, only to look up to see Jon shaking his. "What? That's what you said!"

It wasn't all they'd promised upon either. Don't tell Sansa, had come rushed from both their lips, making Arya marvel in her own delight. It was thrilling, to keep such a secret from her sister. A secret for just her and Jon.

"I know I did." Jon looked solemn as he always did, but she could sense the oncoming smile threatening to break out on his pale face. Arya grinned. "But keep it hidden. And mind yourself in the Capital. These southerners are different."

Arya rolled her eyes but felt inclined to agree, as she often did with Jon. Out of all she'd met in Winterfell, her expectations had fallen short. The once great King Robert was now nothing more than a drunken slob and the knights had seemed a lot nobler in her stories. But her eyes found Lucella as the King's party continued along the road. She rode with her brother, Lann cantering playfully beneath her control. Jon followed her gaze.