ONE

ILUCELLA"the road to winterfell"⚜️

I
LUCELLA
"the road to winterfell"
⚜️

Long and arduous was the ride along the Kingsroad when travelling with the King's retinue. The trail of horses and men on foot seemed to expand for miles beyond the King's own wheelhouse, with his party being bulked by more than 100 knights and too many of the royal household. Queen Cersei rode with her younger brother, the Imp, and her royal children. Jaime Lannister, with his golden hair atop his war-bred horse, rode by its side.

King Robert himself took to alternating between riding proudly at the front of the procession and sleeping off his food and drink in his own private, ornate wheelhouse. Even on the road, he had his whores. Pretty young ones with dark hair and pale skin- rather northern looking for a Baratheon, but then everyone knew the histories, Lucella supposed.

It was to be expected in a party of 300, that it took as long as a month to reach Winterfell. They stopped at the inn at the crossroads but otherwise, it was spent eating and sleeping on the road. Her brother was not much for company. Apart from having large furs she could steal, Sandor had no great use, and so Lucella often found herself wandering, disappearing behind the trees, following tracks through the woods until she ended up hours in front of the procession. She could make camp on her own, staying in the solitude of a dark and quiet forest for as long as she could until the Hound came barrelling toward her, dragging her back to the group by the scruff of her neck.

Even then, she would never stick around long. Her brother was the Lannisters' dog and being around him meant being close to Prince Joffrey, should his guards allow it. They'd grown used to her presence. The Hound's shadow pup, they liked to call her. An affectionate name, she liked to think, even though she heard the way it was spat and spoken.

As ugly as the breed-less bitches they use to fight in dog rings. Joffrey had shouted those words after three weeks of having only his siblings to torment. Those words had sent her barrelling down the Kingsroad, the skinny, blonde prince in her line of sight and for the next week, she'd been confined to Sandor's side, rather than risking her attacking the realm's prince and King's heir. Not that she ever would. No matter what Sandor liked to think, she wasn't that reckless. But even still, King Robert might have paid her to murder the infuriating boy and though she would be slewn in the process, she rather liked the idea of taking him down with her.

Breed-less bitch. The Prince liked nothing more to insult her. Ugly, was his favourite word to spit her way, because his own silken curls and green eyes were his own pride and anything as ugly as Lucella and her brother deserved to know such fact. When Joffrey looked in the mirror, he liked too much of what he saw and Lucella wondered if in his own fantasies, it was not a beautiful princess he saw but-

There was no such point in pretty things. The children of House Clegane were not known for their pleasant appearances- not like Cersei Lannister and her pale, blonde babes that looked as if they'd been created with the outlines of princes and princesses from story books in mind- but Lucella would not have had it any other way. There was a sense of privilege with beauty. A privilege she'd recognised to be heightened in the lion's den of King's Landing, where they favoured agreeable, young things to a sickening extent.