Chapter 32: Happens for a Reason

Start from the beginning

Graham smiles at the intern, "Well done, Dr. Ross."

"I've been practicing."

"He's modest too," Angela comments, warning clear in her voice, "Why didn't we treat the valve disease ear-"

Edwards interrupts her, knowing the question, "Right away? Because the valve replacement surgery would've caused his liver to fail. But the liver transplant would've caused his heart to fail. That's why we'll do both surgeries today. First the valve replacement, then the liver transplant."

Angela gives her an impressed look, "Good. Do well in surgery and you might just make it onto my service consistently."

She perks up as Bailey gives her a smile before Graham's husband asks, "Dr. B, you're confident this liver's the one? We're not gonna get halfway to the OR and have to turn around like last time?"

"All signs point to this being the one," Bailey says, looking at Ross for confirmation, "We just had to date a bunch of others to find it."

Graham looks at his husband, "Kind of like you. Kissing all those frogs before you met me," They all chuckle.

♤♤♤♤

Angela stands next to Edwards, watching her practice, "That's it. Good job. Avoid twisting the cables too tightly or you'll cut the sternum."

Bailey's voice is heard, yelling at Angela, "What is this I hear about you letting your intern do a procedure on my patient?"

"You tattled on me?" Edwards asks Ross.

He shrugs, "I didn't spend the last three months on liver watch so you could kill this guy."

"And I didn't spend 10 years in the army to be talked down to by an intern and third year attending. No one is killing anyone. She's good. Best intern of this class. Maybe even the Yang of this class," Angela tells them, noticing Edwards starting to gloat, "No gloating."

"Karev," Bailey gestures for her to come to her, "Do you know how long this man's waited for a liver? So long he was married to a woman the first time he came in here. Now he's come out. He's met the man he's meant to spend the rest of his life with. This is not the man we let an intern practice on."

Angela shakes her head, "Every patient has a story or a history like that. You can not make one mean more than the other when it comes to the future of medicine. The moment it even looks like Edwards is about to make a mistake, I'll jump in. Now, remember your place or I'll take you in front of Chief Hunt. And trust me, he'll be on my side."

She turns around, clearly dismissing Bailey and Ross.

♤♤♤♤

Watching as Edwards performs a scan on Graham, Angela listens to Edwards diagnosis, "It looks like...there's some calcification of the aortic annulus here?"

Angela raises an eyebrow, "Is that a statement or a question?"

"I...will check again," When she can't answer.

Ross comes in, Graham pointing, "Oh, no. Look at that. He comes bearing bad news."

"It's gonna be fine. The plane taking the transplant team got delayed by rain. We'll know more in an hour," Ross tells them.

Hank sighs, "We've heard that before."

Graham shakes his head, "You don't know. Maybe this is a good thing. Like maybe the plane has to be late so the transport ambulance doesn't crash into an 18-wheeler. Things happen for a reason."