Chapter 4: Protocols

♤Season 7, Episode 21♤

Angela chuckles as she sees Owen following Kepner around as she explains her new protocols, "Hey, Hunt. Can I talk to you for a second?"

He nods before excusing himself and making his way to her, "Yeah, what's up?"

"I thought you could use a break from Kepner. Is this all for chief resident?" She asks, grabbing one of the binders.

"Yup, want to listen to her explain everything so I can go prepare for my meetings with the other residents?" Owen asks, hopeful.

Angela thinks for a second, "You know what, no. You're making the decision, I am just a friend giving you a couple seconds break. I've got to go check in with a few patients. If you need me, page me, otherwise, see you later."

♤♤♤♤

Angela spots Alex sulking by the nurses desk, "Okay, you can hate me all you want, but you look like you could use some sisterly advice. What's going on?"

Alex glares at her for a second before rolling his eyes and giving in, "Lucy's pissed at me and I don't know why."

"Well, what was happening right before she got pissed at you?"

"I was talking to the Namboze Clinic and I asked her if she thought I should or go," Alex explains.

She rolls her eyes, hitting the back of his head, "Hello. Did you ask her if she wanted to go with you? Or show that she had any part in your future? Seriously, for someone who went to medical school, you can be dumb sometimes."

He shakes his head, "No."

"There you go," she starts to walk away before turning back to him, "If you want my opinion, go. This is your Afghanistan. Your chance to do something beyond yourself and I think you should take it. I'd mess the hell out of you, but you deserve this shot."

♤♤♤♤

After Kepner informs Angela of Yang's very unfortunate decision concerning a tree in a man's lungs, Angela finds herself with Dr. Webber explaining the surgery to the patient, "I'll go in and excise the tree with minimal invasion to your lungs," she spots Kepner and Yang enter the room, "Dr. Yang."

"Join us, please," Webber glares.

"Sorry. I needed this, too," Kepner tells her.

The patient asks Angela, "I don't understand. Why isn't Dr. Yang doing the surgery?"

Webber answers, "Well, she's certainly capable, but Dr. Karev is a cardio attending."

Angela adds, smiling gently, "I have experience with complex cases like yours."

"Okay, see, I saw three doctors for this cough before I came here today. They all said the same thing, it'll go away. Be patient. And then I wake up this morning, and I'm coughing up blood. And then this one over here," he looks to Kepner, "Tells me it's cancer."

Kepner defends herself, "Come on. That is not what I said."

"Then finally...I meet Dr. Yang here. And she says it's not a cough and it's not cancer, but a tree in my lung...and just like that, I'm not gonna die. I'm gonna be fine. So if she can do the surgery, I'd like to stick with her," the patient tells them.