V-The Garden

Your heeled footsteps echo across the vast stone and through the maze of twisting pillars. The cavernous ceiling--etched with designs and fine art--serves as a reminder of the intimidating heights of your new home. Two weeks in the palace. Two weeks of exploring halls and corridors. Of discovering marvelous libraries, hidden courtyards, and balconies overlooking the sparkling sea.

The splendors of your stunning room had long been eclipsed by the boredom of imprisonment. There were only so many short conversations to be had with maids and brief regards of the guards outside of your door. Over time, your mother had sent for more gowns to be delivered; each more outlandish than the last. All fine silks, satins, and cottons. She had even dared to send heavy wools for winter; foolishly presuming you would last until then. The dresses were often accompanied by shoes, stockings, and glittering pieces of jewelry tucked underneath letters reminding you of the importance of your visit in the capital.

Though you often roamed the grounds in those gowns with her letters in mind, you began to wonder who you were showing off for. The night of which the king had extended the breakfast invitation had long been forgotten. You can recall waking up the next morning with your stomach in twists and knots, only to receive a message saying the king was preoccupied and would not make it to the breakfast.

And so it went. Two weeks of postponement and denial leaving you wondering if perhaps the king had moved on. If he was instead spending his time with one of the other ladies.

Nonetheless, you had been raised properly and constantly reminded of your upbringing. Each morning, you would dress to impress despite your hopes against actually impressing someone. As a representative of your House, you would not embarrass them.

Today, you had insisted upon dressing yourself. It was rather warm, with a cool breeze to appease the senses. A perfect picture of springtime in the capital city. The gentle wind flutters through your dress. It's not a heavy thing; with pale sage green fabric that tumbles loosely in a sheath around your figure. The bateau neckline is lined with white lace that cannot be found anywhere else on the dress. The solid sleeves billow around your arms, hiding your hands completely before falling into a sheer Georgette fabric that tumbles past your shins. If you chose to climb stairs with your arms relaxed, the sleeves would surely graze the ground. The bottom of the dress pools elegantly on the stone and drags behind you as you walk. A green ribbon of the same color had been woven into your hair, which had been put in a stylish updo.

It brushes gently against your skin as you walk, keeping you quite cool beneath the sun's rays.

In the daytime, the palace grounds bustle with vibrancy and abundant life. Scullery maids rush to and fro through quieter passages, hoping to stay away from the watchful eye of nobility as buckets of water teeter in their hands and laundry piles high in their arms. Ladies maids scuttle between rooms and down corridors with their minds full of orders from their assigned noblewomen. Meanwhile, nobility float down the halls in their finest silks and jewels; noses in the air and painted mouths hidden behind fans to gossip.