SEVEN ♛ 𝒄𝒓𝒖𝒆𝒍

Nothing could have prepared me for the silent walk, broken only by my small explanations regarding the many rooms and corridors we passed. Guiding Illumi around the manor could categorize as a torture method. His eyes simply inspected the rooms with disinterest, his face remained completely impassive throughout the entirety of the tour. My polite façade didn't hold up for long, and my voice grew lower and lower, into a mere whisper.

I cut the tour short when we reached the dining room, I couldn't take any more of this. I couldn't believe a man of little words could get on my nerves so easily. Mr. Selpin, a round, red-faced man, rushed to our side after I had chimed the bell by the entrance of the room. "My Lady, how can I be of assistance?"

"Mr. Selpin, I believe we'll have an early dinner. We'll be waiting in the gardens while everything is set up."

"Of course, my lady," said the butler, and with a curt bow he was hurrying out of the room before I had the time to thank him.

I motioned Illumi to the white windowed doors and followed him out. The air was cold and crisp, Illumi and I walked through the green maze in silence. The sun was setting behind the hills, painting the sky pale orange and pink, the grass was wet and there were remnants of frost over certain leaves which the sun never touched.

Too much yet too little had happened today. I had amassed numerous doubts, and there seemed to be no easy source of information to quench my curiosity. "I can't help but wonder how exactly your grandfather came to know of me..."

The assassin didn't reply, continuing to walk silently next to me. So silent that I often glanced at him from the corner of my eye and surprised myself by his silent presence, always an arm away from me. What an odd man. "Did you mention my presence when you last came here for your job?" as soon as I voiced it I realized how silly it sounded. Why would he-

"I might have," said he with a smooth voice and a pensive look on his face.

So he could display emotion. I tried to hide my wide eyes by looking at the shrubbery, and I muttered a simple, "Hm." The next two turns in the maze were completed in silence, my mind couldn't stop reeling, not after I had realized how powerless I was. How I had been dragged into this...? "Is your grandfather the one in charge of receiving assassination requests?"

"No." He stated simply, refusing to elaborate further. My lips pursed to hold in an irritated click of the tongue. Vagueness was only merited when both parties were on equal terms of knowledge.

Knowing he wouldn't say anything more, I decided to insist petulantly, "And what does he do? What's his relation with the family?"

"Hm? It's a give and take relationship." He said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Good gods.

I motioned him to turn around once I noticed how much we had walked inside the maze, it was time to return to the house. My words seemed to be failing me, I didn't know what I wanted to ask... what would be useful to know? How could I word it in such a way as to not come out as ignorant of my own situation. Hesitation should have been beneath me, but I wasn't aware of the rules of the game... Was I even good enough to play? Was I just a mere pawn? Too weak to force my way?

I had to know where I stood yet... Showing my hand to my husband wasn't the way to go. "What is expected of someone who joined the family by marriage?"

His pale, slender fingers ran through a strand of his dark hair smoothly. It was a mesmerizing sight, and I felt myself grow dizzy, only to carefully shake myself from the unconscious carelessness I was sinking into when he answered monotonically, "Obedience." Illumi's face turned to face me, taking in my expression with a curious look, "Obeying the family rules is the most important thing."