Chapter 5 - Failed Manoeuver

Começar do início

Gwen: "Captain!"

I pushed open the cupboard and ran out towards the door.

Bad Pirate 1: "What the-!"

Bad Pirate 2: "Catch her!"

Gwen: "Captaain!!"

I was small and quick, so I thought I would make it. But the pirates were quicker.

Bad Pirate 1: "Gotcha!"

He grabbed me and picked me up by the scruff of my shirt.

Gwen: "Crap-!"

Bad Pirate 1: "Well look what we have here. A mouse in the kitchen. You some kind of stowaway, kid?"

Gwen: "IN HERE- mrph!"

He put his hand over my mouth.

Bad Pirate 1: "Now now, it's not polite to ignore someone when they ask you a question."

Bad Pirate 2: "Hey, look there."

He grabbed my arm with my new tattoo.

Bad Pirate 1: "That tattoo..."

Bad Pirate 2: "Yeah. She's not a stowaway. This runt is one of Yorki's pirates!"

Bad Pirate 1: "Interesting... bet we could sell her for a pretty penny."

Sell me?! No way! I bit the hand of the pirate holding me, making him yelp and let me go. I bolted for the door again.

Gwen: "Captain Yorki! Brook-! AHW!"

The second pirate caught me and pulled me back by my hair.

Gwen: "Let me go, you rotten old fish!"

Bad Pirate 1: "Careful, don't damage the goods. Argh, that hurt, you little shit! Hold her still."

The second pirate put his arm around my neck as the first one gagged me with a piece of cloth. He held my chin with his big ugly grin a couple inches from my face as the other tied my hands behind my back.

Bad Pirate 1: "Try and scream now, hahaha."

I was completely helpless. I couldn't run, couldn't scream, and I certainly couldn't fight.

Bad Pirate 2: "Quick, let's get out of here."

Bad Pirate 1: "Right."

The first pirate picked me up like a ragdoll and they went outside. All I could do was flail and let out muffled yells.

Bad Pirate 1: "Quit squirming or I'll throw you in the sea!"

Suddenly, a sword came out in front of us, making the pirates skid to a halt. We turned to see Brook on the other end of it.

Gwen: "Mm!"

Brook: "Gwen, are you hurt?"

I shook my head.

Brook: "That's good."

Bad Pirate 2: "Who're you?"

Brook: "My name is irrelevant... Now, I'll start by asking politely... Kindly let her go and back away."

Bad Pirate 2: "Haha! What's a dandy like you gonna do?"

Brook: "I mean it, put our girl down, nice and gently. This is the last time I'm going to ask."

He sounded fierce but remained calm.

Bad Pirate 1: "What? This your daughter?"

Brook: "No. But I vow to protect her as if she were."

The second pirate took out his sword.

Bad Pirate 2: "Too bad for you, pal. We're taking the kid."

Brook: "I tried asking nicely. But now you leave ne no choice... Gwen..."

Gwen: "Mm?"

Brook: "Don't panic. Just stay still for me, okay."

I nodded to say I trusted him. It was so fast I didn't even see him. He disappeared from in front of us. The pirates turned to see Brook with his back to us, slowly sheathing his sword.

Bad Pirates: "What're you doing?"

Brook: "Aaand... goodbye."

The pirates were cut and they fell to the ground, dropping me. I fell on my stomach, but then I noticed the rope around my wrists had been cut too. Brook crouched down to my level as I stood up and pulled the gag off.

Brook: "Are you alright, Gwen?"

I turned around and hugged him, fighting back tears.

Gwen: "I'm sorry... thank you."

Brook: "Not to worry. You're safe now."

Yorki: "Watch it!"

He blocked another pirate from attacking us.

Brook: "Captain Yorki!"

Yorki: "We're not out of the fire yet, you two! Gwen, are you hurt?!"

Gwen: "N-no, sir!"

Yorki: "Good. Brook, take her back inside."

Brook: "Aye aye!"

Captain re-joined the fight. And Brook took my hand to take me inside. But I was frozen.

Brook: "Come on, now... Gwen?"

I looked up at him with pleading eyes.

Gwen: "Brook..."

He seemed to understand what I was trying to tell him. I was frightened, and I didn't want to be left alone. He crouched down with his back turned to me.

Brook: "Climb on and hold tight."

I climbed on his back, clutching his shoulders and wrapping my legs around his torso. He stood up and readied to fight again.

Brook: "Fear not, my little friend. I promise to keep you safe."

Brook re-joined the battle. My mind knew I could trust him, but my body was still scared. I shut my eyes, putting my head down.

Brook: "Are you okay back there?"

Gwen: "M-mhm."

Brook: "Just stay calm. I won't let anyone hurt you."

A canon fire and explosion sent two of our crew overboard.

Brook: "Are you two alright?!"

"You gotta hurry up and help us back on board! His leg's hurt pretty bad!"

Brook: "Captain Yorki, two men overboard!"

Yorki: "Throw them a raft, we're kind of busy saving the ship."

Brook: "I suppose that's the best I can do. Since we can't swim."

I opened my eyes and looked over Brook's shoulder as Laboon sung out. He swam out from underneath the two overboard, lifting them on his head out of the water.

"Laboon, you saved us!" "Hey, we're okay, you guys!"

Brook: "Good job, boy!"

Even Laboon's helping defend the ship and crew. I was proud of him, but I couldn't hide my envy as I closed my eyes again with a frown.