three, 𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫

First night dinner is always a little, eventful, to say the least. This year, it had surprisingly been calm, so far. Steven and Jeremiah were sitting beside each other, laughing at something on Steven's phone, and Conrad and Saige were beside each other, the same way it's been since they were 4 and 5. 

"Steven. I swear to God, if I see that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket." Laurel threatened, earning an "oooo" from Saige and Belly. 

"It's just, we want to see your beautiful faces. Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know, like the olden days." Susannah reasoned.

Jeremiah tried to get Steven's attention and when he didn't, he grabbed Steven's phone and threw it on a pillow. 

"Dude! Are you kidding me?!" Steven complained to his friend, who ignored him.

"Boom! Nailed it!" Jeremiah exclaimed as Steven got annoyed.

"Okay, okay, we get it, you've been working out." 

"You're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you." Belly chimed in. Saige looked at her sister trying not to laugh but also disgusted. Maybe she likes Jere and not Con. Saige thought hopefully.

"Uh no," Steven turned to his youngest sister, "it's all about the lean look now. Otherwise you can't wear tailored suits." That sentence earned laughs from everyone at the table.

"Tailored suits." Conrad chuckled and shook his head. Steven decided to switch the topic away from his comment about the suit and asked Conrad when he was leaving for football camp. The Fisher family got quiet. When Conrad didn't say anything but instead looked down at his plate, Jeremiah decided to speak for him. 

"Uh, he quit football."

Saige looked over to Conrad. She knew that this news was actually good. Being a star football player hasn't been Conrad's dream, it was his dad's. And Conrad has never been good enough for his father. Saige was proud that he was able to stand up to him and go against what his father wants and finally do what he wants.

"Hey, I'm proud of you." She whispered and squeezed his hand. He looked at her and smiled, for a second. Saige's twin however, was not happy about Conrad's decision. 

"Wait, really? You quit?" Steven said in disbelief.

Conrad's smile was wiped from his face and he looked back to his plate and dropped Saige's hand. "Mhmmh."

"Are you kidding me? I'd kill to play college ball." Steven would not let this go.

"Yeah well you would get killed because you have no muscle and you'd get smushed like a fucking pancake." Saige said as Steven's face turned red and everyone was laughing, even Conrad.

"Okay, but Conrad can always change his mind." Susannah chimed in. 

"I'm not gonna change my mind. I was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyways." Conrad's mood was once again, ruined.

"Well, if you're not playing football anymore, what are you gonna do all summer?" Laurel asked.

"Sai" Jere whispered as him and Steven laughed. 

"You could work at the club with Steven and Jeremiah." Susannah suggested, hopefully.

"I'm not gonna work at the club." Saige could tell Conrad wanted this conversation to end.

"Wait, you guys are working this summer?" Belly asked, almost dissapointed.

"Yeah, I'm lifeguarding and Steven's working at the snack shop." Jeremiah explained, then fist bumped Steven.

Belly seemed upset by this news. Saige didn't know why. They'd just be partying or doing stuff without Belly anyways. It wouldn't be any different than usual. Well, it would be for Saige because she didn't have her 'party buddies' but she'd just have to hang out with some of her Cousins friends, when she wasn't working.

"Oh don't forget I'm working at that new surf shop too." Saige reminded her mother.

"Oh maybe Connie can work with you there." Susannah suggested before she claimed she forgot to give Belly something then left to get it.

Saige looked at Conrad in an do you want to? Sort of way. 

"They'll need more people, since it's new. I could get you an interview." 

"I don't know." Conrad turned to the girl.

"C'mon Connie. You love surfing and a summer working with me? Ah, it'll be amazing. What would be better?" That somehow convinced the boy and Saige got up to call her manager about landing Conrad an interview. When she came back, Belly had an envelope in her hand.

"What's that?" Saige asked, but already knew. Her heart dropped. It was the envelope that had only been the start of her downfall. It seemed like Susannah had forgotten about Saige's experience last summer with the Debutantes. Conrad knew though. He looked at her with a soft expression. Saige hesitantly sat back down. Conrad put a hand on her thigh, as a way of comfort. It stayed there for the rest of dinner, a dinner which Saige couldn't wait to be done and over with. She needed a smoke.