Chapter 2

10:45, September 1st, 1971. Platform 9 ¾ was a swarm of children. Older students stood in groups, catching up with each other, eventually going off to find their carriages in the Hogwarts Express. The new first years stood shyly with their parents, saying their goodbyes, grudgingly allowing themselves to be kissed on the cheek and hugged by their sobbing mothers.

A young Sirius Black stood between his Mother and Father, who both had a stern, blank stare on their faces. The young heir held his trunk, grinning discreetly at the idea of meeting new people and learning new magic. His mother Walberga insisted on waiting for his cousin, Narcissa Black. She was in her 5th year at Hogwarts, and since Sirius was to join Slytherin as his family tradition required him to, she wished for her to set an example for her son. His father checked his watch impatiently before seeing his family.

All three of the sisters were there, Narcissa had her long blonde hair tucked behind her ear, already in her uniform, a forest green and silver striped tie proudly knotted around her neck. She stood with a cool expression, unfazed by the buzz of excitement surrounding them. Her elder sister, Bellatrix- in Sirius's opinion- looked slightly crazed, her hair frizzy at the ends, eyes wide, accompanied with a feral grin. His favourite cousin stood in front of the rest, grinning when she saw Sirius. Despite also being Slytherin, she was much kinder and viewed Muggles and Muggle-borns in a completely different light compared to what she was pressured into believing, Which Sirius had begun to admire.

A spark of black light filled the air next to them, revealing a young girl and her parents, who each in turn wore a Victorian-styled outfit. Her mother had a deep blue cloak clasped around her neck. Underneath, a black dress. The girl herself was in her uniform, hair flowing down her back, curling at her waist. Her silver eyes scanned the platform, unused to the crowd. She looked around her and saw a family to her right, dressed scarcely similar, yet slightly more 20th century looking. Slightly.

Sirius locked eyes with her, and neither blinked for a few seconds. Sirius gave a shy half-smile at her. She looked familiar, or rather her resemblance did. He knew his family was an old family, part of the Sacred 28, and so they tended to dress more regally compared to the lower-classes. Yet so did these strangers.

Walberga stared at the father of the group. His head bore a dark top hat and matching waistcoat. What house could he belong to? Out of the remaining 28 nobel families, she only knew of Avery joining this year, a family she was well versed with, so she crossed out that theory. Who could they be? She mentally reminded herself to send a letter to Sirius in a week's time to ask him about them.

Ophelia broke contact with the boy. He looked similar to her. His parents looked vaguely similar to hers. Dressed the same. She could see no one else dressed that way. She wanted to find out.

The Black family then caught sight of a grinning Fleamont and Euphemia Potter. Long ago their families were well acquainted, before branches of the Potter family began to merge with muggles, yet she retained some respect for them for having a pure-blooded son. She looked at him, he had a striking alikeness to his father, a distant relative of hers. Gryffindor for certain.

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The train whistle blew, signalling for five minutes until the train departed. Sirius said his goodbyes to his family and rushed into the express, trying to find an empty compartment. He saw a boy sitting on his own in one carriage further down the train, like him also wearing a first year's tie.

"May I join you?" He asked, politely.

The boy looked up, glasses crooked over his dark eyes. His hair was ruffled and sticking in directions which shouldn't be possible according to physics.

"Sure" He grinned. He shoved his stuff onto the rack above the seats when the door slid open again. A lanky boy with a scar stretched across the bridge of his nose shuffled in.

"Could I join you?" he said, brushing some of his hair out of his eyes. The other boys agreed.

"My name is Remus by the way. Yours?" He looked at the two sitting opposite him.

"James, nice to meet you."

"Sirius, nice to meet the both of you." He crossed his legs in front of him, waiting for their journey to begin.