Infection- Prolog

22 years ago...

It is the year 2469, the Coalition is about to fall.

> TEIKOKU BASE IS III

> PLANET RAIDEN II

> SECOND COMMAND POST OF THE COALITION

The control room was shaking, the soldiers working the transparent screens frantically issuing orders to their subordinates. Meanwhile, the commanding officer's gaze was fixed on the main screen, which showed what was happening on each of the battlefields.

But were they really battles? No, it was a one-sided annihilation.

The incoming reports from the battlefields flooded the screen, and the feeds from the still functioning satellites, support drones and All-Terrain Battle Suits, ATBS for short, emphasised the hopelessness of the endeavour even more...

One of the countless feeds showed:

>...

</> PLANET BALSIMAS III

> SECTOR II

> POPULATION: 35.126.293

>...

</> STATUS REPORT

>...

> UNDER ATTACK

> CASUALTIES: 9.800.000 rising

...

> EVACUATION IN PROCESS...

<\>

UNDERWAY...

<\>

Balsimas, once a jewel of the Alliance, but not much was left of it. Satellite feeds showed explosions on the planet's surface, large enough to swallow whole countries and push the clouds aside. The cities that were not swallowed up by the explosions were obscured by the smoke from the battlefields. There was almost no light. Even the space above the planet was a battlefield. Some people trembled at the sight, and at the thought of what it would be like on the planet itself.

White beams of light flashed past the screen, slicing whole ships in their path as if they were made of paper. The ships that took direct hits were torn to pieces by the explosion that followed. A huge cluster of explosions could be seen in the distance. Only the camera feed could reveal what was happening over there, and what was about to happen to the ships at the front. A single word: LOST.

The ships were wrecks from the moment they entered the battlefield. How could an evacuation be successful in the face of such superiority?

But where were the attacks coming from that were tearing the ships apart? Not even the satellite feed could give a clear answer. All it picked up were magical circles and symbols clustered around a blurred malfunction on the screen with the word ERROR.

It was as if whatever was hiding behind the glitch on the screen was able to disrupt the satellite feed.

Another ATBS feed from Montario III, a metropolis on the planet Rou VI, showed the situation on the planet's surface. The feed's report showed what could only be guessed was happening on other planets at that moment.

> PLANET ROU IV

> CITY MONTARIO III

>...

</STATUS>

> CASUALTIES: 1.456.973 RISING...

> DESTRUCTION 12%