CHAPTER 1 - THE EULOGY

"We're going to be late honey" my mom yelled."In a minute".I was busy looking at myself in the mirror setting my dress right, my black dress - the one i wore for funerals. "So who died?" you ask? Well it's my nanny's funeral today and honestly I don't feel sad. Not even a bit. We were not that close anyways. Mom was a little annoyed by now and I made it to the car as fast as I could. My brother drove us to the church and I was finding it hard to put on a sad face before everybody else. Don't get me wrong,I'm a good human.It's just very hard for me to open up before people. My mom passed a paper to me whispering in my ear " Ivy darling, you're gonna do the eulogy for nanny". I literally screamed "WHAT?!".Now everyone was looking at me instead of my dead nanny's coffin.Mom dragged me out of the chapel and started convincing me. "What do you mean I should do the eulogy? I don't even know her personally!". Mom was so stubborn, she said" I know Ivy, that's why I've written the eulogy. I just want you to read it before everyone. Don't worry I've written it from your point of view, it'll sound real to others". I had no other choice. Mom was already mourning the loss of her mom so I couldn't help but oblige. I opened the paper to atleast get an idea of what's written but just then my brother wanted me to come and help him with the refreshments for everyone. So I folded the paper and put it back in my purse thinking I'll read it after I'm done serving orange juice to people I don't even know. I was nearly finished with serving when my mom without any prior intimation went up to the mic and said" My daughter Ivy will now offer the eulogy for her dear Grandma"."WHAT IN THE WORLD??" I muttered and took out the piece of paper and went up to the mic. My hands started shivering as I held the paper in one hand and the mic in the other. I could hear people whispering "Poor Girl, must miss her granny terribly".Gosh! This is what I was afraid of in the first place. I didn't need their pity when I wasn't even sad. I started reading the words from the paper and I was doing just fine till I read out the last line "I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my nanny so I'm forever indebted to her". I read the sentence so hesitantly and with visible confusion. The ceremony ended about an hour after.I was in so much confusion I didn't pay much attention to the events that followed my eulogy. On the way home I asked mom" What exactly did you mean by the last line? I'm so bothered..Did you mean it in a biological way or what?" she just said "I didn't give it much thought honey,it just sounded sweet". I could tell she was bluffing by the way she said it. I made up my mind to figure out what exactly she was bluffing for and why she wrote that when she perfectly knew about my estranged relationship with my nanny.