- twelve

— ACT TWO OF THREE —
SHE LOVES ME, SHE LOVES ME NOT

chapter twelve | welcome to the graveyard

SADIE stared outside the window as Rick drove. They ditched the Dixon's truck and Shane's Jeep in order to save on gas. Sadie refused to ride the motorcycle with her brother, meaning her only option was to ride with Rick.

The previous night, they drove for the better part of it. Rick and Sadie took turns driving as Carl and the Pelletier family slept in the back.

"Jenner told me something. . ." Rick whispered quietly, in fear of waking up the three in the backseat, "He-He said we're all infected."

Sadie turned to face Rick, "So we were born with it?"

He was surprised at her reaction. He was sure she'd be angry with him, and if she was, he couldn't tell.

Rick shrugged it off. "I'm not sure. He didn't know whether it was that, or if it was airborne."

Sadie let out a shaky breathe.

"What are you gonna tell everybody?" Sadie asked him. He met her gaze, a sad expression written on his face.

"I'm not sure yet." He admitted. "Maybe I shouldn't tell them anything."

"Rick, let me be honest. We're all still kinda angry with you about telling Jenner you were waiting for us to die off one by one–"

"That's not what I meant." He argued.

Sadie rolled her eyes, "Don't interrupt up me. As I was saying, we're all pissed. If you keep this from the rest of them, hell, I don't know what they'll do."

"I'll tell them soon. Let's just find a safe place to lay low, alright?" Rick offered a compromise to which Sadie took.

A silence fell upon them once more.

Sadie couldn't help but let her mind wonder. She almost wished she hadn't of told Rick that what happened between them wouldn't happen ever again. While she still didn't like him, nor wanted a relationship with a man who just got out of a marriage, she had to at least admit to herself how he made her feel.

"Don't think too hard, you'll hurt that pretty little head a'yours." Rick chuckled lowly.

Sadie scoffed lightly, "I thought you were supposed to be a nice guy."

"And I thought I proved that I was done being the nice guy." He side-eyed her, seeing how red her cheeks flared at the reminiscing of their night together.

Neither of them were able to comment on the topic as Carol pulled her head up. Soon, so did Sophia and Carl.

Not long after, the caravan came to a stop. Sadie rolled down her window, sitting on the ledge as she looked out in front of her.

"Holy shit." She called out in despair.

Rick moved the car slowly, causing Sadie to climb back in. "It's a graveyard." She whispered softly as they weaved their way in and out of traffic.

"This is where we saw the bombing. . ." Carol said. "It was so chaotic after that. Shane could barely led us out of traffic."

"I remember," Sadie agreed. "Be grateful you were in a coma, Sheriff."