Chapter four - Siblings start to Open up

Kayleigh slowly crept through her front door slowly, trying to make no sound. She dreaded to know what would happen if her parents found out she had snuck out.

"Your late," A monotone voice said, causing Kayleigh's heart to leave her chest.

"Fucking hell, don't scare me like that," Kayleigh said grabbing onto the wall and calming down from her sudden adrenalin rush, glaring at her brother.

"Why are you late?" Rowan asked again walking over and closing the door.

"I'm late by 10 minutes and I had my tracker on so it's no problem," Kayleigh said shrugging her shoulders and walking over to the shoe rack to put her boots on. She saw no problem with going out late at night, it is not like she was breaking the law, well not this night.

"10 minutes is still late," Rowan said watching Kayleigh with eagle eyes, "and it is a problem, if you plan on leaving home early, you need to restrict your life more". Kayleigh spun on her heels to look at her brother upon hearing this information fall from his mouth.

"How do you know that I want to leave home as soon as possible?" Kayleigh asked feeling vulnerable.

"Your really loud when the house is quiet, your rooms only across the hall from mine" Rowan said, "plus you have your plan laid out on your desk for after GCSEs".

"Why were you even in my room, you do know there is something called privacy" Kayleigh rolled her eyes glaring at her brother with annoyance.

"If you're expecting me to not check your room while your out at midnight with some dude which I haven't met before, then you seriously don't know me very well," Rowan said walking past Kayleigh to the kitchen, "I was checking if you there was any insight into who he was, that's all".

"Why can't you just trust me? I don't need you hovering over my shoulder for my whole life" Kayleigh whined following her brother.

"I will only trust you when you open up" Rowan replied boiling some water in a kettle, "If you did then I can help you and know you are safe".

"I am open, and I don't need your help, you don't realize how close I am to finally living the life I want," Kayleigh said staring at her brother, "You would only set me back 7 steps".

"Or put you 3 steps forwards," Rowan said, grabbing the now boiling kettle and pouring it into 2 mugs, adding a tea bag, milk, and sugar in one and hot chocolate powder into the other. He kept the tea for himself and handed the hot chocolate to his sister, "and you are not open". He said taking a sip of his tea.

"I'm more open than you" Kayleigh grumbled taking the hot chocolate off her brother.

"Well, what do you want to know, whatever questions you as I will answer, but only if you answer after" Rowan reasoned leaning against the kitchen counter while Kayleigh took a seat at the kitchen island.

"Okay then what are your plans for the future?, you know mine so I won't answer," Kayleigh asked.

"Not true, you left blanks in your plan," Rowan said, "Tell me the blanks, and I'll answer the question".

"It's my current job," Kayleigh said resting her arms on the kitchen countertop, "Which just so happens to be what I want to do in the future".

"And that job is...?" Rowan said making a hand gesture to keep his sister talking.

"I didn't ask that question, I don't need to answer" Kayleigh answered.

"Fair enough, well I plan on moving out after you, that was always my plan, I'm going to stay around you for a year or so, make sure your on your feet, and then probably move to London" Rowan said taking another sip of his tea.

"And if I don't stay in one place?" Kayleigh asked knowing the circus was planning on going to go on tour in the long run.

"Then I'll follow you until I know your safe" Rowan replied finishing his tea and placing it in the sink.

"You could just leave me alone and live your own life" Kayleigh suggested taking a sip of her drink.

"Most siblings beg for their other siblings to stay with them" Rowan said chuckling, "What if you need my help, say financially".

"I guarantee you that money will never be a problem for me" Kayleigh said laughing.

"That's what the word 'if' means," Rowan said using his fingers to put quotations around the word if, "you may be fine now but in the future, you may not be".

"Bold of you to assume I haven't thought about that" Kayleigh argued leaning back in her chair.

"Why are you defiant? I'm offering you my unwavering help and advice and you're brushing off as if it means nothing to you" Rowan argued, anger and annoyance, creeping into his tone.

Kayleigh could feel the rush of anger flow through her once more, she had stood up to really get the message across.

"Because for the past 7 years of my life, I've had it shoved down my throat that, I can't do anything and that I'm worthless, so excuse me for trying to put some sort of meaning to my name" Kayleigh half shouted.

"I don't want to be seen as a money sucking leach whose just a pretty face, I want to live my own life and fight for my own right to be myself" Kayleigh continued calmer allowing this sudden wave of frustration to blow over edging tears to her eyes.

"I don't want to die a life I hated living" Kayleigh said letting a lone tear fall. Turning away from her brother. She hated crying in front of people, the signs of vulnerability, signs of weakness. However when Kayleigh was trying to pull herself together her brother had walked over and pulled her into a hug. Kayleigh face hiding in her brothers chest as he held her tightly.

"That's the first time you've cried in front of me in years" Rowan said, "your worrying me". He pulled away from Kayleigh resting his head on top of her.

"If you help me the reputation will only stick" Kayleigh mumbled "It will only ever backtrack me".

Kayleigh pulled away wiping her tear stained face with her jumper sleeve. She turned away from her brother to grab her hot chocolate.

"This never happened" Kayleigh said walking over to the door.

"Your allowed to show emotions around me, you know that right? nobody can be emotionless" Rowan said staring at her sister as she went to leave the room.

"Love you Rowan" Kayleigh said ignoring what her brother had said to her leaving him frowning.

She started her journey to her room up the stairs. Along the way she took her phone out her pocket and and tuned the tracker off. 

After a left then a right and to the end of the hall Kayleigh had arrived at her room. She put her mug on her bedside table and flopped onto her bed plugging her phone on charge, letting Ty know she was home safe and sound before hitting her head on the cloud of a pillow and blacking out into the world or wonders to which you wish was your reality.