Chapter 2: Captain Jack Sparrow

Start from the beginning

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Governor quickly took off his jacket and covered his only daughter, who was soaking wet.

Artemis, on the other hand, had the chance to fully take notice of the man who had saved her adopted sister. Upon recognising what he truly was, she could not help but narrow her single visible eye as bitter memories of her past threatened to resurface in her mind.

Pirate, she thought in her mind.

She would recognize one from miles away thanks to her experiences and her travels. Pirates were those, who had robbed her of everything she ever had and now she had one of them standing in front of her. Weren't the facts that were witnesses and that he had saved Elizabeth, Artemis would have attacked and stabbed the man in front of her; without a moment of hesitation.

"Shoot him" the Governor suddenly ordered as he eyed the pirate with precaution.

"Father!" Elizabeth scolded him and then turned to the younger man and ironically, her fiance. "Commodore, do you intend to kill my rescuer?"

Artemis bit her bottom lip, not liking the idea of the man living but then again; he did save her adopted sister. It was only fair to not execute him at least. Letting him go was another thing that would have to be discussed.

"She has a point. Elizabeth wouldn't be here if it weren't for that man" she said through her teeth, taking the side of her sister.

She didn't want to take his side but she was raised to be just and fair. Those were two qualities that her late father had tried hard to bestow upon them and she did her best to honour them.

James looked between the two women and gave a nod of his head as the soldiers lowered their swords. He did the same with his and sheathed it back to its case.

Jack gave a silent thank you to the two women and didn't fail to notice that one was looking at him with fascination but the other with hatred. Artemis stood next to Elizabeth and blocked his view of her as her single eye narrowed slightly.

"I believe thanks are in order," the Commodore said and extended his hand to the pirate. The man slowly shook it but he was pulled forward by the man in the wig. Pulling his sleeve up slightly, James exposed the 'P' that was branded on his wrist. "Had a brush with the East Indian Trading Company, did we? Pirate"

"Hang him" the Governor ordered once he realised what the man truly was.

"Keep your guns on him, men. Gillette, fetch some irons" Norrington ordered and pulled the sleeve of the man even higher to expose a tattoo of a sparrow. "Well, well...Jack Sparrow, isn't it?"

"Captain Jack Sparrow, if you please, sir,"

Jack Sparrow? Artemis frowned her eyebrows as she tried to recall if she had heard that name before. For some reason, it sounded familiar but she couldn't pinpoint from where exactly.

"Well, I do not see your ship...Captain"

"I am on the market as it were"

"He said he had come to commandeer one," Murtogg, one of the two soldiers who were with him from the beginning, said.

"Told you he was telling the truth... These are his sir" Mulroy said right after and grabbed the things that belonged to the said Pirate.

An old brown and worn-out hat, a gun, a compass and a sword. James grabbed the gun first and inspected it. "No additional shot, no powder" he stated and gave it back to the soldier and grabbed the compass. "A compass that doesn't point north" Artemis tilted her head slightly as she noticed the circles inside the compass moving first clockwise and then reverse for no apparent reason. Something was odd about that compass, she could feel it. James pulled the sword slightly out of its sheath and smirked as he inspected the cheap metal before sheathing it again. "And I half expected it to be made of wood" he joked. "You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I have ever heard of"