16.- Reaching boiling point

Start from the beginning

"Technically," Brooke whispered, pointing between the two of us. "We didn't chose each other either."

"Okay, fair enough. But I was just consoling her. No need to get your dirty minds wandering in the wrong direction." Caleb got up and ruffled Elaine's hair. "Take care, kiddo."

Elaine slapped his hand away and glared at him. "Little girl?" Elaine huffed.

"You? Consoling a girl without wanting something in return? How nice of you," I said sarcastically.

"Who said I don't want anything in return? She's moving in, right? Plenty of time to cash in the favor," Caleb grinned devilishly and was about to walk past us out of the room. I had a feeling I didn't have to be the one who put him in his place. I was right. Brooke was already on it.

She blocked his path before he could walk out. "What you do with other girls is none of my business. But get this through your head, my sister is off limits. Got it?"

His grin died down out of respect for Brooke. "Loud and clear, Ma'am," Caleb saluted and walked out of the room still smiling.

"We haven't officially been introduced. I'm Aiden Walker," I smiled warmly at Brooke's sister as I took a seat next to her on the couch, living a gap between us for her benefit.

While Brooke was a spitting image of her mother with her midnight black hair and dark eyes, Elaine seemed more like a mix between her parents. Her light brown curls were hanging right above her shoulders and her height made her seem older than she really was. The way she was clenching her teeth made her strong jaw line stand out even more. She was nervous. Her heart beating rapidly in her chest said as much.

"Elaine," she said curtly, as her hazel eyes flickered between Brooke and I, with a hint of suspicion in them. She was silently checking with Brooke to see if I was trustworthy. "Hamilton, but you already knew that," she added.

From the corner of my eye I saw Brooke giving her a subtle, encouraging nod. That resulted with Elaine letting her guard down a little, but not completely. She still wasn't convinced she was safe her. I still had to work on that.

Elaine seemed restless. Spending the last couple of days in fear really did a number on her. I wondered how long it has been since she had a proper sleep.

"You've been on quite the adventure so I'll keep it short for now," I said, getting straight to business. "From now on, you're on the full protection of this pack. That means that you don't have to worry about your pack or Alpha coming after you. I won't let anything happen to you."

Elaine nodded, but her strong front started to waver. "But what if they do come?" she asked quietly as her worry filled eyes locked with mine.

"When they come I'll deal with them," I promised. I stood one hundred percent behind that promise. I was willing to go to battle if that meant keeping Brooke and her sister safe. When I sensed another question coming I spoke before she could, "You've been through a lot. So right now, all I need for you to do is rest. When you're well rested we can continue this talk."

"Okay," she said reluctantly. She still had unanswered questions, but she was still a kid. She needed to take it slow for now.

"We've arranged some clothes for you to change in. I've send someone out to buy you new clothes so you'll have them soon. Brooke will show you to your room so you can settle in. If there's anything you need just let me know," I told her as I got up. "Oh and one last thing.. My only request for you is that you don't leave the pack house without Brooke or me for now. Not even Caleb."

Elaine got up too. "Thank you, Alpha Aiden. And I'm sorry to have to burden you with all this."

"You have nothing to be sorry about, Elaine. This isn't your fault." Her egocentric Alpha and her deadbeat of a father were to blame. But I kept that to myself. "And it's just Aiden for you," I winked at her.