"Just curious, is he the reason why-"

"No! No, no, we got together after that all happened. I would never even try to kiss you while I was with someone else- sorry! That came out wrong, ay de mí-"

"It's okay! I know what you mean," he says, "do you ever think about how different things would be if- you know..?"

I freeze. Is everything with him and Sam okay? Because I feel like this is a weird conversation for someone in a good relationship to just... bring up. I'd be lying if I said I didn't though. Not often! Not often at all, especially now that I'm with Robby, but sometimes.

"I mean, not often, but I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about it," I answer, "but you're with Sam and everything is going good right?"

"Yeah! Yeah, everything is alright, I was just wondering," he says, leaving me only slightly reassured, "what about you and mystery boy?"

"'Mystery boy' and I are doing great. Getting close to half a year... feels kinda crazy... usually good things don't last for me," I say, getting quiet at the end. He looks over at me. I don't look back. I can't. I feel like despite him never having me in checkmate, Miguel's always got me in check. He's always got me in a spot that's not quite bad, but not quite comfortable. Whether it be because he was a Cobra Kai, or because he was the victim of my best friend's anger, or because he had feelings for me that I didn't fully reciprocate, or now because I can't quite place his feelings and thoughts about me, it feels as if there's always some reason why things aren't just quite right. I can't place it. He's just one more thing in my life that feels out of place, especially after that question.

"Well I'll be around, and I like to think I'm a good thing for you," Miguel says. I can't help but smile, laughing a little.

"You are, and I'm glad to have you," I say, "what should we listen to? I'm kind of feeling Billy Joel."

"You are a mind reader,"

——

I sit in my class, bored out of my mind. It's all review this week, and I'm ahead of the game. I don't know what to do for the next hour. I think I have a book in my backpack. Maybe I'll read. Somebody walks into the classroom, walking up to the teacher's desk and handing them a piece of paper before walking back out again. I wonder who gets to leave.

"Parker?" my teacher calls, looking over at me. Wait, what? Those are never for me. I stand up, crossing over to retrieve it, confused. I never get to leave class.

"Should I bring my stuff or..?" I ask. I haven'r really done this recently. And it can vary. She shrugs.

"Sure," she responds. I nod, get my things, then walk to the office. Is everything okay? Why would I be called to the office? I guess I'll find out when I get there...

When I get to the office, I find a lady waiting by the phone.