Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

When they neared, Bethany reached out to embrace both, in the process her hair slowly pulled away from the hands of Lady Margaret. Who was busy with her hair.

Chiding her playfully, she let go of Bethany's hair.

A quick hug later, Lady Margaret got a perfectly poised Bethany once more. "I apologize, I just can't help it." She felt like her whole life would change with the rising of the sun. A hug from them was exactly what she needed.

"You, my future queen, do not need to apologize. I simply might leave a strand or two undone." In the mirror, Bethany caught the twinkle in her eyes.

"Darling," it was her mother who spoke next. "It is your big day, alas. How are you holding up? Are you ready to walk down that aisle?" She said, searching her eyes.

Was she ready to take on such a role? Yes, and no. "I am indeed." She replied instead.

Bethany saw her eyes glaze over with tears, causing her own to tear up the same. "Don't make me cry." she laughed, dabbing at the corner of her eye. "They just finished my makeup." And she didn't want them reapplying it.

"Then you might be upset at me when I give you this to read." Sniffing, she pulled out a handkerchief and a letter from her gown. Giving them to her.
Bethany looked between her mother and the former queen. "What is this?"

Ronald's mother leaned over, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "Ronald knew how you'd be feeling today, so he asked to give this letter to you. He wrote it to you this morning." The thought of Ronald putting aside everything and sitting down to write her a letter, brought tears to her eyes.

"Don't start crying now." The queen jested.

"Thank you, to all of you. I was so nervous last night I could barely eat dinner or sleep." But then mother gave her a special concoction of valerian and something else in a warm cup of tea. And Bethany was out before she knew it.

"Oh, I noticed." Mother stroked her cheek.

"We all noticed." The former queen added, nodding her head with a gentle smile playing on her lips.

"Now now, I must break up your lovely speeches. But I would like to finish her hair before the ceremony begins." Lady Margaret once more interrupted the moment. They all laughed.

"She is difficult, isn't she?" Bethany's mother gave a playful little shove on her shoulder. Bethany shot a glare. "I recall how difficult it was to get you to sit for a hairstyle."

"I wasn't that bad." She countered.

Moments later, mother left to work on finishing touches on the dress, and the former queen told her she had last minute details to attend to. Leaving Bethany alone to read the letter from Ronald.

With careful fingers she peeled the thick paper apart, breaking the wax seal. Bringing the letter closer to the flickering candle, she began from the top.

My dearest Bethany,
I know this is one of the most nerve-wracking
day of your life, mine too.
I can see the wheels churning in your head, and
the hair stroking from here,

Bethany's hand stilled; he knew her too well. She
continued reading.

So, I wrote this to you in hopes that I can
alleviate some of the nerves.
I wanted you to remember all the good times we
had,
All the times we snuck off, shared secrets.
Yes, I may be a king, but to you, I will always be
your Ronny.
Remember that when you walk down the aisle.
You're marrying me first, the kingdom last.
Let's keep it that way, forever and always.
Yours truly, Ronald.

Bethany placed the letter close to her heart. Tears smarted in her eyes. Sniffing, she dabbed the tears away with the handkerchief.

Her gaze wandered about the room, it was now alighted with activity. From the corner of her eye, she could see her mother working away at the dress with her assistant.