"Thanks." she nodded, "I will be just outside, please make it fast."

The door jingled again as Lucy stepped onto the pavement, and opened the passenger door of her car.

"Hey, Charls. Come on here." she whistled, crouching down and setting the bowl on the pavement, and pouring it full with water.

Charlie barked, leaping down his seat and onto the pavement as Lucy nuzzled under his ears.

"Uh-oh, not from the bottle." Lucy scolded when Charlie tried to paw at the bottle in her hand. "Use the bowl. You'll be more comfortable."

She pushed the bowl slightly towards him, pointing at it as he finally got the idea.

Lucy's only companion these days was Charlie, whom she had picked up from Florida from the neighbour's house he was staying at for their trip to Mystic Falls.

Dogs, always the better choice than humans, were the ones who would listen to you for hours without complaining, nuzzle into you when they saw you sad and jump in joy on seeing you back from work.

"Good boy." she praised when he was finished, ruffling his fur.

"Now, food time." she said, standing up to pull out dog food from the passenger seat's glove compartment box and pouring a portion into the bowl as Charlie savoured it.

"You enjoy, Charls and imma grab my food." she said, patting his head before she re-entered the café.

"Done yet?" she asked, tapping onto the counter.

"Yes, here you go." the boy smiled, placing the package and the carton on the counter, and handing her the bill.

"Thank you." she nodded, after making the payment, and took the package in one hand and balanced the carton in the other as she opened the door with her leg, stumbling onto the pavement to find Charlie eagerly waiting.

"Get in, Charls." she ordered, setting the carton in the backseat before strapping herself in the driver's seat.

"Mmhmm. This is so good." Lucy said out loud, taking large bites of the burger. "I'm literally starving."

"And I know, Charls, you will say I ate a whole cake an hour ago, but I am just too hungry." Lucy muttered through a mouthful as Charlie sniffed at her package and turned away, disapproving of it.

"Ah, you're saying I should be dieting?" Lucy muttered when Charlie barked at her in response.

"No way in hell, Charls. This woman is never dieting. If you wanna live, you gotta eat champ, like a lot." she hummed, already unwrapping the second burger and taking occasional sips of coke in between.

Charlie simply barked at her, leaning onto the headrest, to growl at something in the backseat.

"What, Charls?" she groaned, still busy savouring the burger and coke.

He simply barked in response, growling more.

"Ah, what is it?" Lucy groaned, turning back to look at the source of his attention.

Her phone vibrating with the first call of the month.

She blinked at it in surprise, but nevertheless leaned over to grab it.

"Who the bloody hell got my work number?" she groaned, throwing her head back, as she stared at the numbers flashing on the screen.

Her eyes narrowed as she finally recognised the number.

"Ah, it's Nik!" she said loudly, dramatically banging her head in the steering wheel.

She stared at the screen again, her thumb hovering on the response buttons before she sighed and threw it out of the window.