34 Men Start Wars

''Here I am, trawling the city, ever the good soldier in search of a wastrel who's never taken half an interest in his birthright." Aemond remarked as they walked. 'Tis I the younger brother who studies history and philosophy, it is I who trains with the sword, who rides the largest dragon in the world. It is I who should be..." Aemond went on but Criston stopped walking staring back at him

'' I know what it is to toil for what others are freely given.'' Criston remarked.

" Mm... And we can't find him, Cole. You are a decent man with no taste for depravity." Aemond said stepping closer to Criston. "His secrets are his own... and he's welcome to them. I'm next in line to the throne. Should they come looking for me, I intend to be found." Aemond assured him.

+

''Something must be done. Aegon is unfit to rule.'' Erryk remarked as the brothers stared down at the fighting pits, the childrens fighting pits.

''You tolerated the Prince's proclivities for years." Arryk added

''Because it was my sworn duty, Arryk.'' Erryk reminded him. 'It's for the Hand to find wisdom. We swore an oath of service until death.'' He hissed.

''A moment of your time, m'lords." Jayne said as she approached them. Erryk looked her over deciding her a whore.

''You'll find no buyers for your wares here.'' Erryk hissed

''I can take you to Prince Aegon.'

+

Everyone was looking for Aegon but of course Beka found him first.

"Aegon."

"Beka please-" Aegon whimpered.

"You are not to be king," Beka assured him.

"Hes dead." Aegon stated blinking back at her.

"This morning," Beka agreed. "Last night actually they found him this morning."

"I can sail away and never-" Aegon began and Beka grabbed him.

She ran him to a ship by the shores, cut off his hair and took his fancy clothes replacing them with rags. He stared back at her touching his shaved head.

"We choose our own path. Our values and our actions, they define who we are." Beka remarked. "You get to be no one."

"I know you have questions but I dont have the time." Beka remarked as she thrust a pouch at him. She gave him some coin instructed him to disappear and never come back. "I spoke to the Capitan they will take you far away. You can be free."

"Thank you." Aegon rasped.

"You are a Sand now." Beka remarked. "Joe Sand. Don't come back to westeros."

Aegon got onto the ship glancing back at her as the boat set sail. He was free. He could be who he wanted. Beka saw him smile she didnt even have to compell him. This was something he already wanted.

+

"Meeting a monster?" Beka questioned and Alicent jumped.

"They wrapped Viserys up..." alicent whispered as they walked. "But something didnt feel right." She remarked.

"Death usually doesnt. Thats why I thought you could use a friend. Or at least a friendly face." Beka offered.

"Thank you Rebekah... I can see why my son likes you." Alicent remarked softly as she pushed open Rhaenys door.

"I will do you the considerable courtesy of assuming there is a good reason for the outrage of my treatment here this morning". Rhaenys hissed when Alicent entered her chambers.

"My sincerest regrets for the lack of ceremony." Alicent remarked.

" The King." Rhaenys realized. Alicent nodded. "And you are usurping the throne." Rhaenys said through an exasperated breath.

" It was my husband's dying wish." Alicent informed her stiffly but Rhaenys scoffed out a breath.

"Dying wish. It's important to see those through." Beka agreed.

"Lies!" Rhaenys hissed.

''Believe it or no, it is of no consequence. Aegon will be king.' Alicent informed her. " I came here to ask your support." Beka shrugged, Aemond would be. Not Aegon.

" Well, I must credit you for your boldness." Rhaenys seethed.

" House Velaryon has long allied itself with the Princess Rhaenyra and what has it gained you? Your daughter dead... alone in Pentos. Your son cuckolded. Rhaenyra's heirs are none of yours. It is your husband who grasps so heedlessly for the throne." Alicent reminded her. ''And even he has abandoned you: gone these six long years to fight a desperate battle, returning grievously, if not mortally, wounded, leaving the Lady of Driftmark to chart her course alone."

" The word of my house is not fickle." Rhaenys said insulted as she walked the room.

" No. But, dear cousin... you more than any soul alive understand what I say now. Princess Rhaenys, I loved my husband, but I will speak the truth we both know." Alicent begged following her to the window and grabbing her hands. 'You should've been queen.'' Beka vaguely remembered Rhaenys. She was focused on Daemon that day though but she heard Corlys and Rhaenys buying votes thinking they would win. It didnt matter. Men thought women would never rule.

''I little thought to hear those words from you.' Rhaenys remarked softly.

''The Iron Throne was yours by blood and by temperament. Viserys would've lived his days a country lord, content to hunt and study his histories, but... here we are. We do not rule but we may guide the men that do. Gently... away from violence and sure destruction and instead toward peace." Alicent offered hopefully but Rhaenys pulled away from her storming the room with a groan.

''Ugh. Is it in the name of peace that you've imprisoned me? And what of my dragon?" Rhaenys questioned not looking to Alicent her anger rising.

Beka pondered if she could compell a dragon... that would be fun.

''If we are overmatched, Rhaenyra will be tempted to strike us, and war will ensue." Alicent reasoned. ''Without your dragon, she may be persuaded to negotiate. If it's Driftmark you want, you shall have it for you and your granddaughters to pass on as you see fit."

" You are wiser than I believed you to be... Alicent Hightower." Rhaenys turned to her venom in her gaze.

" A true queen counts the cost to her people."

" And yet you toil still in service to men. Your father, your husband, your son. You desire not to be free, but to make a window in the wall of your prison. Have you never imagined yourself... on the Iron Throne?" Rhaenys countered and Alicent stared at her for a long moment a heavy silence filled them.

"And you dont?" Beka countered. "I believe what the dear queen is too kind to say is you are a hypocritical bitch."  Rhaenys grit her teeth as she glare at beka.

"Who do you think you are?" Rhaenys hissed.

"Rebekah Mikaelson." She answered. "Soon to be Targaryen though."

"You two are going to start a war." Rhaenys hissed.

"The war has already started." Beka corrected. "It is men that start wars but women that finish it."

'' I'll leave you with your thoughts. Ring the bell when you have an answer.'' Alicent offered instead as she left the door sealing closed behind her. "You are something else lady Rebekah."

"Thank you." Beka agreed.

"I thought you were with my Aemond, looking for Aegon." Alicent remarked.

"Aegons gone." Beka corrected. "We both know that it is for the best. Aemond will do better."

"What do you mean gone?" Alicent countered.

"Do make the preparations for Aemond." Beka remarked as she headed off.