With a pang, she thought of the Documents Tent. The other surveyors might be at their work right now.

Would they be mourning for the lost one?

Would they be talking about her and what had happened on the Fold?

Milene and Alina have nothing to say....

Across from them, the two Grisha were studying them with open curiosity. Mostly at Alina. Their red kefta were of the finest wool, embroidered lavishly in black and lined in black fur. The fair-haired Heartrender was lanky and had a long, melancholy face.

Ivan was taller, broader, with wavy brown hair and sun-bronzed skin. Now that Alina bothered to look, she had to admit he was handsome. And knows it, too. A big handsome bully.

While Milene only observes Fedyor ,the joyful looking person in the room. He has black hair, is thin and tall, with a long, melancholy face.

Alina shifted restlessly in her seat, uncomfortable with their stares. She looked out the window, but there was nothing to see except the growing darkness and her own pale reflection.

She looked back at Grisha and tried to quash her irritation. They were still gawking at her. Alina reminded herself that these men could make their heart explode in their chest, but eventually she just couldn't stand it.

"I don't do tricks, you know," Alina snapped.

They both exchanged a glance.

"That was a pretty good trick back in the tent," Ivan said.

Alina rolled her eyes. "Well, if I plan on doing anything exciting, I promise to give fair warning so just ... take a nap or something."

Ivan looked affronted. She felt a little snap of fear, but the black-haired Corporalnik let out a bark of laughter.

"I am Fedyor," he said. "And this is Ivan."

"I know," Alina replied. Then, picturing Ana Kuya's disapproving glare, She added,

"Very pleased to meet you."

They exchanged an amused glance. She ignored them and wriggled back in her seat, trying to get comfortable. It wasn't easy with two heavily armed soldiers taking up most of the room.

The coach hit a bump and jolted forward.

"Is it safe?" She asked. "To be traveling at night?"

"No," Fedyor said. "But it would be considerably more dangerous to stop."

"Because people are after me now?" She said sarcastically.

"If not now, then soon."

Alina snorted. Fedyor raised his eyebrows and said, "For hundreds of years, the Shadow Fold has been doing our enemies' work, closing off our ports, choking us, making us weak.

"If you're truly a Sun Summoner, then your power could be the key to opening up the Fold-or maybe even destroying it. Fjerda and the Shu-Han won't just stand by and let that happen."

Alina gaped at him. What did these people expect from her? And what would they do to her when they realized she couldn't deliver the purpose? "This is ridiculous," she muttered.

Fedyor looked at Alina up and down and then smiled slightly. "Maybe," he said.

She frowned. He agreed with her, but still Alina felt insulted.

"How did you hide it?" Ivan asked abruptly.

"What?"

"Your power," Ivan said impatiently. "How did you hide it?"