Chapter 31

My plan was a gamble, contingent on McCreary's overconfidence and the chaos surrounding the camp. Despite the risks, it was the best shot we had. I needed to exploit the little freedom I had left; nobody except McCreary and those now silenced knew of my allegiance shift. I banked on the hope that McCreary was too preoccupied with forcing Shaw into compliance to have spread word of my betrayal. With a small pack of medical supplies from the church, I casually made my way onto the transport ship, blending in with the activity around me. Approaching the guard, I said, "I'm here to see the Colonel."

The guard, a woman with a stern demeanor, replied, "Sorry, only McCreary and the doc are allowed in."

I held up the bag, improvising. "Well, the doc sent me. She needs her meds, hormones for the baby."

Her expression softened slightly. "Make it fast," she said, opening the door for me.

I followed her into the room, noting her back turned towards me – a critical error. In one swift motion, I pulled out my gun and knocked her out with the butt of it. Diyoza, who had been watching the scene unfold, regarded me with a mix of suspicion and curiosity.

"Hello, Kegan," she greeted, her tone cautious.

"I need to get to McCreary and keep this ship grounded. You're going to help me. Now turn around," I commanded, my voice firm.

Diyoza complied without resistance, a hint of understanding in her eyes. "It's hard to keep track of whose side you're on."

"Guess we have that in common," I retorted, a touch of bitterness in my voice.

"I guess we do," she agreed.

After securing her wrists with cuffs, I led her out of the room. "Let's go," I said, steering her towards McCreary's location.

As we entered the room where McCreary and Raven were, the scene before me was heart-wrenching. Shaw's leg was trapped between a piece of machinery, slowly being crushed. The agony on his face was evident, and Raven, desperate to save him, was complying with McCreary's demands. I understood that desperation all too well – the lengths one would go to protect someone they cared about. It was a situation fraught with emotion and cruelty, a stark reminder of the brutal reality we were all entangled in. As I took in the scene, my resolve hardened. We had to stop McCreary, no matter the cost. The room was thick with tension as McCreary turned his head towards me, his eyes narrowing at the sight of my gun pointed at Diyoza. Raven's face, which had been a mask of anxiety and desperation, shifted to a glimmer of relief upon seeing me.

"We're not going anywhere," I declared firmly, my voice echoing in the tense atmosphere.

Raven immediately understood my cue. "Copy that," she responded with a slight nod, a subtle smile playing on her lips as she moved to disable the ship's engines. As soon as the engines were cut, she hurried to Shaw's side, who lay unconscious, his face etched with pain.

McCreary's sneer was full of contempt as he challenged me. "What are you gonna do, shoot a pregnant woman?"

I shifted my aim slightly, pointing the gun at Diyoza's stomach. "No, if I did that, your baby might live," I countered, my voice cold and calculated. I could see the disbelief and shock on the faces around me. I was gambling on McCreary's concern for his unborn child, hoping he wouldn't see through my bluff.

"I won't let my child die. Will you?" I pressed, holding McCreary's gaze.

Suddenly, McCreary barked orders to his men outside. "Aim for the engines! When the car stops, pull out the cannons!"

The situation was escalating quickly. I knew we were on borrowed time. McCreary's smirk was confident, almost triumphant. "They can't win," he said, his confidence apparent.