Chapter 17

Left alone in the dim light, I sat in contemplation. The weight of my next steps lay heavy on my shoulders. My primary concern was Madi's safety, and the complexity of our situation had just intensified. Cass's departure left me in a whirlwind of thoughts, pondering the delicate balance I had to maintain to keep Madi safe in an ever-changing and perilous world.

I felt a surge of urgency as I realized I needed to get to Madi immediately. The air was tense, filled with an unspoken alarm that pulsed through my veins. We needed to vanish into the night, away from the danger that lurked in every shadow. Octavia's intentions were clear in my mind; she would rather have Madi lying lifeless than let the world uncover her true, hidden identity. The thought ignited a fierce protectiveness within me, a primal instinct to eradicate anyone daring to threaten her. I envisioned myself, a relentless guardian, refusing to let even the slightest harm befall her. It seemed like a lifetime ago when I believed that we had left this perilous life behind, that Madi and I could finally embrace a peaceful existence. But that illusion shattered in an instant, leaving a bitter taste of reality in my mouth. I was thrust back into a world I thought we had escaped. My movements were swift and precise as I entered our tent, the familiar canvas walls now feeling like a flimsy barrier against our fears. I could hear Madi's shallow, anxious breaths as she watched me pack our essentials with trembling hands. Each item I stowed away—a map, a knife, a few clothes—was a silent testament to the life we were forced to flee from. The dim light of the lantern cast long shadows, mirroring the uncertainty that lay ahead. Yet, amidst the chaos, a resolute determination anchored me. I was ready to face whatever came our way, for Madi, for us.

A sudden, almost imperceptible rustling sound from behind me halted my frantic movements. In the dim light of the tent, the shadows seemed to dance on the canvas walls, creating an eerie atmosphere. I turned, my heart pounding, to see Madi emerging from the shadows. Her face, illuminated by the flickering lantern light, was etched with worry. "What's wrong?" she asked, her voice a soft echo in the confined space.

"We can't stay here," I replied, my voice strained with urgency. My fingers fumbled with the zippers and clasps of our worn bags, each movement betraying my growing anxiety. The contents of the bags - a mishmash of survival essentials - clinked softly as I hurried to secure them.

"No, no, Kegan," Madi's voice broke, her big blue eyes - mirrors of the sky I longed to see again - brimming with unshed tears. Her innocence, so stark in our grim reality, made my heart clench.

I paused, my chest tightening. "Madi, please don't question me now. Leaving that valley... it wasn't safe." My voice trailed off, laden with a mix of guilt and protectiveness.

"I did that because you were in trouble," she countered, her voice a blend of bravery and fear, so characteristic of her.

I sighed, feeling a torrent of emotions. I'm really failing at parenting right now. But before frustration could take over, I stopped packing and crawled across the cramped space of the tent to join her on the cot. The cot creaked under my weight, a stark reminder of our fragile situation. Gently, I took her hands in mine, their coolness contrasting with the warmth of my palms. I hoped she could feel the sincerity in my touch, the unspoken promise of protection.

"Listen to me, Madi. Cass knows the truth about you. And when Octavia finds out—" I started, but she cut me off.

"Octavia's your friend," she interjected, her voice laced with a mixture of hope and disbelief.

"She was," I acknowledged, nodding slowly. "But six years change everything. Octavia isn't the girl from the stories I used to tell you. Not anymore." Memories of a lost friendship, soured by time and betrayal, flickered in my mind.